Adding insulation between joists to existing underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house we moved into recently, has very good underfloor heating on the, solid ground floor but we have found that the first floor has no insulation fitted at all below the pipework. There is a foil 'spreader' above the pipes, which seems to be big sheets of galvanised metal laid on top of the joists before the boards were fixed and not in contact withe the pipes.
Very little heat rises through the floor and is hardly worth having the heating running upstairs.

Do you know of a system of adding insulation under the pipework that does not involve removing the ceiling below? Maybe some sort of foam filler.

Thanks
Ron

Sponsored Links
The pipe should be laid in grooves on the spreader plates? Do you have carpet upstairs? Is there a separate manifold for upstairs?

The pipe is attached to the joists and runs up one and back down the next. Then loops round to the next cavity. The spreader plate is just a big flat sheet of thin metal, across the whole of the first floor, under the floor boards. There is carpet but the bathroom has a tiled floor, which, if you stand in one spot, you can just feel that it is on. It has it's own manifold and was designed by Robbens. The heat from the manifold goes out hot and comes back a little cooler, so I guess it is operating ok.

Sounds a very odd/poor system to me so the pipe has to heat the whole void, then through the spreader plate then through the floor!! Whats the point in the spreader plate?! You could try turning the temp up on the blending valve but the system sounds poorly designed/installed. Celotex between the joists would be the way to go but its a massive upheaval. You might as well go for overlay using the existing manifold if you could get on to it.

Sponsored Links
I contacted Robbens but they only designed and supplied the parts in 2003. It seems that their instructions were not followed and the builders cut corners and bodged it.
Unless I can find a way to get insulation under the pipes (and maybe that would push the pipes into contact with the spreader), its pretty near pointless having it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back