adding multiple sockets to exisitng socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!!

I have 3 new sockets that need to be connected to existing double socket on ring main (no existing spurs). Which is the best way to connect?...
Can I create a loop that would be wired back into existing socket, or am I right in thinking that I should break into the circuit with the first new socket before the exisitng one, wire the new sockets in line and end up with the original socket as the last one (I assume this will just extend the ring circuit)???

Sponsored Links
alibrown said:
Help!!

I have 3 new sockets that need to be connected to existing double socket on ring main (no existing spurs). Which is the best way to connect?...
Can I create a loop that would be wired back into existing socket,
No - that's not the way to do it.

or am I right in thinking that I should break into the circuit with the first new socket before the exisitng one, wire the new sockets in line and end up with the original socket as the last one (I assume this will just extend the ring circuit)???
That's right - a ring is exactly what it says - the cable runs in a ring from the CU, to each socket in turn and finally back to the CU. If you look at the diagram in the Reference section, you'll see that if you want to insert new sockets in the ring you disconnect one cable from a socket, take it to the first new one, then onto the next new one etc, finally returning to the original socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back