Adding new 13A sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to add a new double 13A socket in the dining room. I will switch off the MCB for Ground Floor Sockets and break into the ring main at the back of the existing socket and run two cables to the new location.

My question is the route of these new cables - are there restrictions/good practice on how they should run.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
Best practice is simply to make the cable as accessible as possible where it needs to be, and use trunking/conduit where possible to enable the cable to be replaced easily if it should short or break. I prefer sub-floor runs rather than burying in plaster or behind skirting, as it makes it easier to use conduit.

How are you going to connect the new cable to the existing cable?

I assume you have an existing socket with two original ring cables feeding it. To break into the ring, one of these original cables will be disconnected from the socket and extended to the new position, while the other cable to the new position will complete the ring by terminating in the existing socket terminals, along with the second original cable.

Hope this makes sense. An alternative to having to joint a cable would be to just run a spur - a single piece of 2.5mm2 twin & earth cable which is connected to the existing socket terminals.

As for good practices when running the cable:

Have you a suspended timber floor under which you can run the cables or do you propose to bury them in plaster?

If in the floor void, then clip them to the joists. Leave a little slack for jic purposes (just in case!) When burying in plaster, stick to horizontal or vertical runs, not diagonal, and use cable capping to cover them prior to plastering.

I agree with securespark - running two cables from the existing socket to the new one is only useful if you can legitimately extend the ring, otherwise you're just putting a spur in complete with a redundant extra cable. Nothing wrong with just doing a spur here if you're connecting directly into the ring, rather than another spur socket.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - sounds like the spur is the easiest way to go. :D

spur is the easiet but not the best.

i shall put it another way

new socket wanted, socket fixed to wall (no cable just socket)

go to nearest socket, remove cables, see which one goes nearest new socket

pull this cable to new socket

run new cable from new socket to old socket .

connect all cables inot respective sockets

all done. new socket is on ring so is old socket and his friends

This only works if the cables are not buried in plaster or otherwise inaccessible, or unable to be re-routed......

Another way is to use an unswitched 13a fuse connection unit as the junction box, and run the spur off that to the new point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back