Country
United Kingdom
adding another 13A double pole switched socket

orignal socket looks like its not part of ring circuit

there is another similar to orignal nearby with one cable going in only

how to add extra socket ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
All sorts of ways, none of which is connecting it to that nearby socket.

Do a search here for terms like spur, FCU, extending, ring etc.

onion_soup said:
thanks for reply ban

I had given up on a reply and have done a search
Blimey - you need to be a little more patient...

http://www.esocket.co.uk/sotn/dprod.php/products_id/41?xClient=da09d2d6c5682303f702fc1bde537fca
That takes me to a photo of an ancient Wylex CU. Not only am I amazed they still make them, but that they can get people to shell out £70 for a 60A 4-way....
But I digress - what's it got to do with your sockets?

one of those then looks like a ring main and two separate double sockets each with its own cable from the Wylex Consumer Unit
If those single-cable sockets are radials, not spurs off the ring, then you can extend them without regard for anything except floor area. What fuse and size of cable is used?

edit

I think i will go along with this

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17019

is it ok ?
May not need it - sounds like you've got radials, not spurs...

Sponsored Links
Yes, fine. Make sure the spur feeding the existing socket is diverted to feed a 13A fused spur, then from the outgoing terminals you can run as many sockets as you like, but your TOTAL current drawn by them collectively will be limited to 13A max or 2990W.

Also make sure if your run is long that voltage drop does not affect the cable size.

securespark said:
Yes, fine. Make sure the spur feeding the existing socket is diverted to feed a 13A fused spur.

I think they are radials:

onion_soup said:
two separate double sockets each with its own cable from the Wylex Consumer Unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back