ring main question

S

snadge

Hi

I have to add a few sockets next to some existing ones.. obviously they are on a ring where 1 cable goes INTO a socket and another comes OUT of socket to go into the next one - if im adding just one single or double socket do i continue the rind or can you just run on cable off from the ring to the socket?

thanks

Sponsored Links
What you have described could be a ring final or radial circuit.
Does the circuit have two legs and return back to the Consumer unit?
It is best to extend these circuits, but you can add a spur of one single or double socket-outlet to a socket.
If your were to extend via a spur for more than one outlet a FCU would need to be used.

It's best to extend the ring, but first you must test to prove that the circuit is a ring.

whats the difference if I just put one socket running from the other instead of adding it on ring?

also, why the testing? what else other than a ring might it be?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It could still be a radial circuit!
Best look at your CU check if there two line/live or a single going to the fuse/MCB/RCBO that is protecting the circuit, this will give you a fair but not an absolute answer.
Check this link it may help you understand the differences between Ring and Radial Circuits.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits

It could still be a radial circuit!
Best look at your CU check if there two line/live or a single going to the fuse/MCB/RCBO that is protecting the circuit, this will give you a fair but not an absolute answer.
Check this link it may help you understand the differences between Ring and Radial Circuits.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:socket_circuits[/QUOTE]

ahhh i see - so radial cable doesnt return to the CU

here is a shot of my CU but it doesnt seem to give much away as cable is in wall and only cables I can see is from the meter and cables out to a seperate fusebox that has cooker/central heating on?
(sorry for poor shot cant get in due to temp storage)

I have a Multi-Meter - how would I test it to find out?

2ecf6mu.jpg

You need to isolate all the power, obviously use you multimeter (Vac setting) to check the power is off.

Disconnect the socket you want to 'spur off', then test the two reds for continuity, the two blacks, and the two earths.

You are looking for a low ohms reading.

I know thats only a brief guide, please ask if you have any questions!

Hopefully with my idea snadge wont have to go poking around inside the CU!

@ PRENTICBOYOFDERRY - unfortunately i cant get at the CU due to the fridge and freezer being squeezed in under the stairs whilst kitchen is getting done

@ LONDON BOY - when you say test two reds etc how do i do that exactly? just put one node on one red and the other node on the other red and on VAC setting i should get low Ohms reading?

thanks

Safely isolate the circuit, prove the circuit is dead first, then on your continuity test, after disconnecting socket, test across colour cores. Using probes across red and red, then black and black and then your earths. for low ohms continuity reading.

OK I will do that when I get round to it this weekend,

can I ask?

why the importance of keeping sockets on ring and not having spurs (if thats the technical word for it) running off sockets?

ive found a spur (single socket) running from a double socket and I want to put one on in on other side of wall so if it IS a ring im just gunna "cut in" to the ring instead of running a spur off a spur, or another spur off the double socket (is this right?)

thanks for the help[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back