Adding outdoor timer socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, earlier in the summer, I had a double weatherproof socket professionally installed to my house. This is tapped off of a double socket inside of the house and is for mowers/strimmer.

I have got some mains operated garden lights and can see that the housing for my double socket is clearly not big enough to house a timer plug. Also, timer plugs are not designed to go outside.
I noticed that you can get weatherproof timer plugs such as this:

70313.jpg

Is it possible to mount this on the wall next to the existing weatherproof socket and run it off of the existing one?
Image of existing one...
Screen_Shot_2018-07-16_at_21.53.09.png

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to mount this on the wall next to the existing weatherproof socket and run it off of the existing one?
As long as the existing one is, or you make it, supplied by a fused connection unit.

Adding to b-a-s's post- he is assuming (almost certainly correctly) that your new outdoor socket has been spurred off a ring final circuit. You are not allowed spurs from spurs UNLESS the original spur is protected by an FCU. BUT- if your outdoor socket has been (or can be) properly connected as part of the ring final circuit (usually with 2 x 2.5mm T & E) then you CAN spur from it to your timer socket.

Of course, if the circuit it has been linked to is a radial circuit (usually protected with a 20A fuse/MCB rather than 32A) then you can crack on.

Whichever, it is prudent to have a double pole isolator (indoors) on the outdoor sockets in these circumstances so if rain gets into the innards and starts tripping the RCD on the house circuit you can isolate the outside elements easily. Most switched FCUs are double pole these days but do check if you go that route

Sponsored Links
I prefer a timer indoors. I’m sure it would last longer and be easier on the knees to adjust. But if the other side is a posh room you may not want that

By accident Andy has raised an important point. If you have lights on a timer then adjusting the times is an almost constant job - the hours/length of darkness changes all the time (by about 15 minutes per week, IIRC). In London the interval between sunset and sunrise varies from a little over 7 hours to a little over 16.

When would you want these lights to come on and go off?

"By accident" sounds a bit patronising.
Anyway in this situation - use an astronomical timer.

You mean you want the lamps to come on and off depending on whether it's light or not?

I'm sure there's a simpler way to do that.

It'll come to me....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back