Adding rads to attic space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am looking to add three radiators in my converted attic. I am due to have a new combi oil boiler installed so this will be able to deal with the extra three rads.

I have removed one rad from the landing and the new rads above are going to be fairly close by. Can I spur off the old radiators 15mm and connect the three new radiator on this or would you suggest I spur of the 22mm with 22mm to the attic first then use 15mm.

Sorry I hope this makes sense my plumber obviously does not want the job and doubled his estimate.

cheers
Mark.

Sponsored Links

This did include connecting a shower and tray, toilet, sink. Although the builder would have connected the sink and toilet. So these would just need to feed to them. There is also a mains feed right next to them to spur off. My builder told me he had just overpriced the work as he did not really want to do it.

That's a joke of a price.

For 3 rads you need 22mm with at least two 15mm branches to the rads. 15mm can supply two rads max.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @ivixor. Thought this might be the case. I might still use the existing 15mm but also run a short length of 22m up to the attic to run the other two rads off. What are peoples view on using speed fit. Have they improved enough to be reliable or is it just be to use copper.

If you can, take 22mm from the 22mn flow and return on the landing up to attic. Branch off to each rad from 22mm in 15mm. This will help ensure that all rads perform properly and aren't difficult to balance. Once again, if you can, copper will always give more confidence in the long term, but properly fitted Speedfit would be my second choice.

In my experience speedfit fitted correctly is completely reliable. Where you get problems are clueless amateurs installing it wrong and giving it a bad name. The improvements are effectively attempts to make it even more amateur-friendly. There's plenty of ways to muck up a copper installation too, but that's less common as amateurs wouldn't even attempt it.

I have noticed that when the header tanks were removed the plumber marked up two pipes as CF and V. Trying to work out if both the pipes coming from the heating header are both part of the feed side and work out what CF and V might mean.

Cold feed and vent. Did his price include fitting the boiler and all associated pipework including conversion from gravity to pressurised system by any chance ?

No we were supposed to have this done by another company under a government scheme. He did a separate quote of just under 4k just for the boiler so would have been 7.5k for both jobs.

The feed from the boiler goes to a tee piece that branches off up to the loft and I have a return from the loft that continues to run into the house away from the boiler.

The boiler company sent out a chap with the wrong boiler this job has now been cancelled and the scheme has ended which means the cost has gone up over 1k. So this has just turned into a plumbing nightmare for us. He mentioned that both pipes going into the loft could be removed but I am still not sure how to use these. Can I cap off the vent and use the rising pipe to connect to the hot feed? Would the Vent pipe come off the hot feed?

We did have another plumber lined up be has now cancelled and we called another who said he can do the job after xmas. I am not worried about soldering and pipe work but struggling working out the existing. We live in an old 1950s ex council house and have had previous plumbers scratching their head when then have seen the plumbing.

Without knowing the intricacies of your plumbing system its like shooting in the dark. However ,if you are going to have a combi boiler ,sealed system pressurised ,then the CF ( cold feed ) and V ( vent ) pipes would be redundant. Where do they currently go to ?

Can I just use the cold feed for the new return and the Vent for the new supply?

Thanks for all your replies and advice. The old cold feed and vent pipes are only about 2 meters from where the new rads will go. I just have to work out what both are connected to on the first floor. Like I mentioned this is becoming a pain in the rear. I have the electrician complaining that he needs to walls up to finish his job and the builder moaning that he cant put up the wall till the plumbing has been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back