Adding recessed area with access panel into brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to run media cabling through a brick chimney breast and am looking for advice; I'm not sure how to build something that will allow me to access the conduit junction. I'd like to be able to re-run cabling at a later date without replastering. (Previous owners had VGA cables plastered directly into the wall!)

chimney_cabling.jpg
access_box_concept.png

• Do I chissel out a space, insert tiny pieces of plasterboard, run beeds on edges, and plaster? Sounds like a mess.
  • Is there a besoke wall-insert module I can buy somewhere? (Can't find any).
  • Do I build a softwood frame?
I'm not set on the square-plastic-flap thing in the image; a near-invisible plasterboard piece would be preferable:
plaster panel.jpg

None of my local builders will touch this as I've already removed the old cables and it looks like a mess arelady.

Thanks in advance for any help!
icon_thumright.gif

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Building a frame over the chimney is an option. Naively it seems like a lot more work though.

The plastic box is as great idea. Didn't think of that. Yes, need recess to be deeper than a normal puttress box.

Re: plasterboard, I don't see how I can mount it into brickwork. All the ones online assume it's for inserting into a plasterboard wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back