Adding second socket to garage - help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to add a second double plig socket to my garage.
currently there is only one in there.
There is a mini consumer fuse box ( hagen ) with lights and sockets.
the plug socket is wired directly to this.
The secondary unit is fed from the house.

can I wire the new socket to the existing one or what?
I have 2.5mm twin and earth
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you know the rating of the fuse(s) protecting it?

What size the cable serving the garage is?

Worst case scenarion is to put a fused connection unit (FCU) that can also have RCD protection before the first socket in your garage then spur to the first and subsequent sockets. Better to have metal clad with conduit for extra protection to.

p3131596_l.jpg

What are you going to use the extra sockets for?

The new socket will be by my work bench, so used for power tools etc.
Why is that hideous rcd contraption required?
The cable going into the garage looks pretty thick, like hosepipe thick.
The garage fuse in the house fuce board is on the side next to the rcd, with the downstairs and upstairs sockets

Sponsored Links
The cable going into the garage looks pretty thick, like hosepipe thick.

sounds like SWA and should be sufficient for your usage and if you already have an RCD fitted you don't need a second one unless the one you have fitted isn't 30mA

sounds like SWA and should be sufficient for your usage and if you already have an RCD fitted you don't need a second one unless the one you have fitted isn't 35mA

Sorry what is SWA and from what I've detailed , do you think my garage is rcd protected?
it is on the side of the rcd in the consumer unit with the houses sockets

35mA --- how would I check the ampage on garage circuit?

sounds like SWA and should be sufficient for your usage and if you already have an RCD fitted you don't need a second one unless the one you have fitted isn't 35mA

Sorry what is SWA and from what I've detailed , do you think my garage is rcd protected?
it is on the side of the rcd in the consumer unit with the houses sockets

Steel Wire Armoured.

If you say it is 'on the side of the rcd in the consumer unit' then I guess it is RCD protected.

I need to buy a crystal ball I think. :cool:

The secondary fuse board in garage has- main 63A, lights 5A and sockets 15A.

so I'll just wire new socket to existing socket using 2.5mm

The secondary fuse board in garage has- main 63A, lights 5A and sockets 15A.

so I'll just wire new socket to existing socket using 2.5mm
If your distribution board uses the old 15A semi-enclosed fuse, it sounds like you may be able to extend the existing radial circuit with 2.5mm² twin conductor plus earth (T&E) as you suggest. Maybe even as many sockets as you like if the area is less than 50m². Well, I think you can if you have a 20A CB. A 15A semi-enclosed fuse apparently might take 20A all day without blowing.

Press the test switches on the RCDs in the main CU (as you are supposed to every 3 months). If they isolate the garage then it is probably protected. (There might be issues with the protection not working too well at greater distance.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back