Adding sockets to a ring main - Scotland regs etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to modify a socket ring main in my flat in order to add some sockets. The planned modification would be as shown in the pictures below:

In short I would like to convert an existing spur to be part of the main ring circuit, add a second socket to the ring main, and take a spur off one of these sockets. More details on the planned change are shown at the bottom, in case anyone notices any problems!

Can I do this myself in Scotland or must I get an electrician to do this in order to comply with building regulations, i.e. is this a notifiable change that must be certified? I get the impression from reading around that it is.

If it is certifiable, can I perform the work and have it inspected and certified? Will the cost of this be more than having an electrician do this in the first place?

Out of interest, how much would it cost, and how long would it take, to become certified to do this type of work (and no more) myself? In my day job I design generators and work on much higher voltage circuits than domestic installations, can any of this experience count?

OTHER INSTALL DETAILS

All of the wiring for the installation will be run under floorboards (this is how the existing installation is).

The junction box I plan to use to make the additional connection would be this type (30A 3-Terminal Heavy Duty Junction Box) or very similar:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/30a-3-terminal-heavy-duty-junction-box/73522

I currently plan to have the sockets fixed in the skirting (in order to match the existing installation), the skirting is very tall though, the sockets will be around 100mm from the floor. I am aware that current regs for new builds are 450mm for disability regs, but am under the impression this is not required under the circumstances here? Feel free to correct me on this.

All wire used would be 2.5mm twin and earth.

Area covered by new circuit (much) less than 100m sq

No wiring behind skirting, would come up from floor straight into sockets

Sponsored Links
Do you own the flat ?

I work on LV systems, will I be alright to work on HV systems after all it's only electric ain't it ? ;)

Hi, thanks for replying, I do own the flat.

I'm aware there's a big difference between working with electricity and being competent to perform domestic wiring. I only mentioned it as part of my question in the hope that some of the basic theory could count in some part toward a qualification if I were interested in going down this route.

If I knew all the answers I wouldn't be here cap in hand asking for advice!!

Get rid of the junction boxes, they need to be accessible and I bet they won't be.

Crimps are allowed, although a clean unbroken cable is always the best option.

Sockets in skirts suck, look in my picture gallery for the better alternative.

Sponsored Links
cro - it's not unheard of for this type of project to be done as follows:

This assumes that the flat is wired in the old twin & earth colours (red/black) only ... check at the consumer unit.

source some old colour cable off ebay or similar
do the work correctly if are confident enough
don't tell anybody at Building Control (or the Jocko equivalent) as what's been done will look 'original' - as if it's always been there and because its always been there there's no need to certify anything.

It would be inappropriate of me to condone this approach ;)

Are we really encouraging people to break the law now?

What next? Techniques for extraction of supply? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back