Adding sockets to a ring

JB's are a likely place for a fault to occur, as they are a weak link in a circuit. They may also throw certain sensitive tone tracers and distance/fault analysers off. But this does not normally apply to domestic set-ups.

Sponsored Links
It is said that JBs must be accessible. Because, amongst their other sins, the create a weak link in a ring.

But when extending a ring the alternative (apart from relaying an entire length of cable) is to extend from a socket.

Isn't the socket then a weak link in the same ways as a JB is.

I guess it is down to the fact that they are both weak links that when needing to be tested must be accessible. In the case of sockets they are definitely accessible whereas JB give the option of being hidden away under floorboards.

I've got loads of JBs stuffed away in inaccessible places because there was no alternative.

But then I am amature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back