Adding sockets to outbuilding and loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done a lot of reading here and other places, and I think everything I want to do is not notifiable, but I just want to check with the experts that it isn't (notifiable) and IS sensible/safe.

Loft:
I want to install maybe 4 13A sockets in the loft (nothing high powered, just a home server computer, a tv signal boooster and the odd power tool or inspection lamp). There is an unused spur terminating at a FCU in the airing cupboard which I was going to use to supply the circuits.
Am I right in thinking that I can put as many sockets as I want on a 13A FCU spur because it is protected by the 13A fuse?

Outbuilding:
Similar story to the loft except there is a ring already there, but only two sockets. I was planning on adding a FCU and probably 4 sockets on the FCU spur. none of the wiring is outdoors.

Any obvoius problems with my plans??? :confused:

Just wanted to make sure all the reading about part P and all the other inspection/notification restruictions hadn't fried my brain!

Cheers and thanks to those contributors who have obviously spent many hours here helping DIYers like myself.

Stuart.

Sponsored Links
Neither are notifiable (unless you haven't told us about a hidden bath or kitchen in your loft or outbuilding!)

As long as you're sure the FCU in the airing cupboard is not spurred with anything else (as e.g. if you had a spur from the ring supplying FCU and a double socket say, you could then exceed 13A on the spur), then your loft plan sounds fine. You will though need to ensure that either the ring the spur is from is RCD protected, or e.g. replace the FCU with an RCD FCU, as all new general purpose socket outlets need to be RCD protected under the 17th edition.

In the outbuilding, it would be better to extend the ring, rather than putting in a spur, 4 sockets is quite a lot to limit to 13A, especially since presumably you might want to use power tools etc out there. The same thing about RCD protection applies, either the ring needs to be protected, or use an RCD FCU if you go for that approach, or if you extend the ring use RCD sockets (if you bury any cable in the wall then the cable would need to be protected, so either protect whole ring or use an RCD FCU).

Neither are notifiable (unless you haven't told us about a hidden bath or kitchen in your loft or outbuilding!)

As long as you're sure the FCU in the airing cupboard is not spurred with anything else (as e.g. if you had a spur from the ring supplying FCU and a double socket say, you could then exceed 13A on the spur), then your loft plan sounds fine. You will though need to ensure that either the ring the spur is from is RCD protected, or e.g. replace the FCU with an RCD FCU, as all new general purpose socket outlets need to be RCD protected under the 17th edition.

In the outbuilding, it would be better to extend the ring, rather than putting in a spur, 4 sockets is quite a lot to limit to 13A, especially since presumably you might want to use power tools etc out there. The same thing about RCD protection applies, either the ring needs to be protected, or use an RCD FCU if you go for that approach, or if you extend the ring use RCD sockets (if you bury any cable in the wall then the cable would need to be protected, so either protect whole ring or use an RCD FCU).

Thanks for your reply. I will double check the Loft FCU is not supplying any other sockets, and then replace it with an RCD-FCU. Despite all my reading I must have missed the bit about all new sockets being RCD protected. I was going to put RCD protection in the out building anyway, but hadn't thought about using an RCD for the loft. I doubt I'll be using enough power tools all at the same time to go over the 13A limit, but I will consider extending the ring as you suggest (it might even be easier than adding a spur!)

Cheers,

Stuart

There is an unused spur terminating at a FCU in the airing cupboard.
A spur from where?

Did you or a previous owner ditch the HW cylinder & immersion in favour of a combi boiler?

I'm just wondering if that is an old immersion heater outlet on a dedicated circuit....

Sponsored Links
...in which case it would be ideal to use as a radial for the loft and no further fusing down would be required.

You typed that without touching your keyboard!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back