Adding storage to garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding adding some storage to my garage (separate from the house)

It has a Saltbox style roof which gives a lot of 'wasted' space above the garage door (taller end) which I would like to use for storage of some general tat (camping gear, a few garden tools etc etc)

As it is brick walls both sides my idea was to use some face hangers either side attached to the brickwork with some timber across the span. Width is usual garage size so somewhere around 3m

My questions are:

What size and grade of timber should I be using? I guess treated C16

Can I get away with a span of that length unsupported (guess that depends on the timber used)

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
done a bit of research online and found a nice table which tells me:

dead loading 0.25-0.5kN/m2 (25-50kg/m2) i will need 45x145mm C16 to cover the span of 3m ... seems excessively big but i guess that span is pretty large

Never heard of a salt box roof. Are boxes of salt rectangular?

Anyhow, a traditional semi has 3x2 rafters spanning that distance and people store lots of crap in those lofts.

Never heard of a salt box roof. Are boxes of salt rectangular?

i've never even seen salt sold in boxes ... must be american?!

like this, only garage sized

salt-shed-design-8.jpg

fair point noted, im probably only gonna store some old camping gear up there

Sponsored Links
Span tables are giving 6x2 as the "official" section size. Bizarrely, they say the same for floor and ceiling joists which seems odd given that the loading is different.

I can't see why a 4x2 at 400 centres, and noggins at the ends and centre would not be adequate, but obviously there's no guarantees.

If you are putting hangers into the wall make sure that there is enough wall above them to hold them down.

I think 2x4 should be fine, planning on putting some loft boards over them which should help spread the load.

Was planning on using face hangers and screwing them to the wall with a half dozen screws each, or maybe anchor bolts would be more suitable

Have you used hangers for timber and screwed every hole into the wall?

Looks good... probably would have been easier, and a little cheaper, to have used a 4x2 each side instead of hangers, with a few concrete bolts!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back