Adding Stove to existing water/heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking further at the integration of a boiler in a wood burning stove into my existing HW & CH system. I follow the reasoning behind the Dunsley Baker Neutraliser, however, perhaps someone might give these diagrams a quick glance.

Diagram 1 shows my existing oil fired gravity hot water and pumped central heating. If you are wondering if I have omitted any controls, I haven't !!! Thats it !

Diagram 2 shows what I hope to achieve. I noticed here that the chap suggests introducing the stove in series with the existing boiler.

My idea would then be to introduce a pipe stat on the HW output from the stove that would switch the existing CH pump on independently of the timer switch IF the stove was heating the water above a preset temp.

Thoughts :?:

Col

Sponsored Links
Very dfficult to see your diagrams, as I have to scroll the screen to see the whole picture and if I zoom out the detail disappears. What did you use to generate them?

The idea of adding the stove in series with the boiler is a possibility, but it means the stove will heat up and cannot be turned off. This means when you want hot water from the boiler in the summer, the stove will heat the room. There is also the problem of ensuring a safe heat sink from the stove.

For wood particularly, you need high combustion temperatures, and it would be better to have the stove and boiler the other way round, ie the boiler heating water which then passed to the stove, and the boiler connected using an injector so if the water was hot enough from the stove, it would not go through the boiler.

This is why the neutraliser is beneficial, so hot water ONLY has to go where you want it.

The diagrams were generated in MS Visio and saved as gifs. I'm running Win XP and when the gifs open in a web browser, they are auto fitted to the screen.

Sorry !

Take your points though, I'll have another think about it. Dont have a problem with the stove acting like another radiator in the colder weather but I agree it would not be too good in the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back