Adding to concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I had an area of concrete laid ( approx 10ft x 4ft) last week. It has been laid about 1" too low so that water is sitting on it. The contracter has been back to look at it and intends to correct the problem by laying a further inch on top with a gradient to the adjacent drain. Can anyone advise whether or not this is appropriate please and what should be done?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi,
It is the obvious solution,however I am not sure the second layer will be stable or whether a smoother concrete should be used.Your contractor should know best about this.
Good luck anyway
Anna

Thanks for your response but that was the question really - will an additional 1" bond to the original and will it be sufficient to withstand frost or will it be too thin?
Any advice / info gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Hi Deniseann
To answer your question... No there's no way an inch of "topped up" concrete will bond to the existing. Not a chance!

Not the answer you wanted to hear i'll bet.?

Agreed.

Water ingress will cause problems at the junction between existing and new slab, and it'll soon spall...that's if the general stresses of foot traffic don't damage it first.

If it's his mistake I'd be asking him to break it up and do it again...but he isn't going to be happy about that.

Or you could put down slabs onto what's already there instead :idea: depending on what it will be used for? :?:

Hi there both
thanks for answering - you're right not what I wanted to hear but pretty much what I suspected
As you suggest I may go for the slab option.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back