Adding to detached garage and making part of it habitable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We recently purchased a semi detached house with a detached double garage which measures approximately 18ft by 16ft . The garage has a small pitch roofed extension to the side of the garage (used as a wood store) measuring about 6ft by 7ft. The extension is of the same construction as the rest of the garage, single skin breezeblock with slate roof.

Initially I wanted to extend the extension on the garage by a few feet to make a bigger room measuring about 6ft by 11ft. I wanted to put a toilet and washbasin in it and then partition the rest of the space as an office room. I've enquired about planning, which I would need, and I also need building regs due to the size of the garage as it stands.

However, I've thought that I could do with an extra bedroom and wonder what it would take to make this garage extension habitable so I can call it a bedroom? I know people sometimes convert all their garage into an annexe but I'm only looking to make this extension on the garage a habitable room and keep the rest of the double garage as a garage. Has anyine done something similar and is it drastically more costly than making it simply an office room with a toilet?

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's good to know.

What's the main difference in what's needed to satisfy the regs for a bedroom as opposed to my initial office room idea?

I would ask the local buildings control but they are difficult to talk to without submitting something and I don't know what I want to submit yet, it depends on how complex the project is as to how desperate I want a bedroom!

Thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
Agree with Mr Farrokh Bulsara's twin, in that there is little design or construction difference betwixt a habitable office or a habitable bedroom.

I would imagine that the heat loss and fire regs etc are the same.

The same, and a saucy secretary wouldn't look out of place in either :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back