adding to upstairs ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to add 2 double sockets to my upstairs ring.

The sockets will be on top of each other in consecutive order, is this ok to do? They will be fed or included by a socket underneath them and if the wire is long enough to reach will just attach it to one of the new sockets then in an out untill the last one where it will loop back to the original,just wanted to check it out with you guys before hand as all sockets will probably be drawing power at the same time for computer related things.

Currently I have a seperate ring for each floor and the kitchen has its own aswell. It will not be exceeding 100m2., the circuit is protected by a 32amp mcb.

I will also be using 2.5mm twin and earth the sockets will be flush with the wall and I will be running it in conduit with in the wall.

Thanks very much

Sponsored Links
Thats fine, just make sure the new sockets are included as part of the ring, not as two spurs off the ring. :!:

thanks for the reply yep definitly gna be part of the ring

I have however come across a bit of a problem

I have dug away the render and plaster for where I am going to install the new backbox, however there isnt enough room for a 25mm one its slightly long.

I have dug right back to brick but this part of the wall seems to be a bit shallow. Im looking for a 16mm double back box but cant seem to find one.

Does anyone have any ideas? I dont want it surface mounted so anything that will make it flush.

Thank you

A 16mm box isn't deep enough for a socket.

drill a load of holes to soften up the brick and then use a chisel.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply

is it not deep enough due to regulations or safety? as phsiycaly it would be perfect for me.

thanks once again

Its not deep enough becuase the fecker just won't fit :LOL:

As far as I know, they don't make 16mm double boxes, theres no point, nothing would fit in them!

You need 25mm minimum, 35 if you have those 'flat front' socket outlets

If you haven't got many holes to cut, one of those yellow plastic jigs they sell in the sheds is a useful item. They are time-consuming to use, but do create a nice neat hole.

thanks for all the comments guys

I have a holesaw so im gna make a load of holes in the brick as deep as i need then with the chisel just define the box shape. I think this is the easiest option not sure if thats what u were saying bas as im not sure what u mean by a yellow jig?

ill post some before during and after pics once done

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back