Ring Final Continuity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok guys heres the problem. Recently moved some sockets higher up the wall on my upstairs ring as i am having bigger skirting fitted. I extended the wiring to the sockets by crimping, using a good ratcet crimper and the correct crimps aswell. All went well till i went to the CU to test for Ring continuity and didnt get a continuous result. So, checked if each socket was working in turn, and every socket works fine. So, is there a break somewhere in the ring between sockets?

Sponsored Links
you can also check continuity at sockets.

start with the ones you recently worked on. perhaps a wire has fallen out.

did you check continuity before you started? if not there could be pre-existing fault.

sockets working fine does not mean there is not a break in continuity in a ring.

Thanks John D.
Checked all wiring in sockets and seems fine.
Will check continuity at sockets, but im edging towards a pre-existing problem, which i didnt check before hand! Doh!

but im edging towards a pre-existing problem, which i didnt check before hand! Doh!

Fatal!
Always check for continuity and correct connection / polarity by carrying out r1+r2 and r1+rn tests at each point.

Sponsored Links
Best way to trace ring final continuity problems is link phase to neutral on one end of the ring, but not the other, then go around the points with your continuity tester and watch the readings increase until you get one thats open circuit, and then if neccessary repeat the same process with the other end, this should tell you roughly where the problem lies :)

Well thats unless you have a TDR and a signal injector and tracer! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back