Continuity test

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about that. As even EFLI himself more-or-less admitted, that is the word which virtually everyone other than electricians would use.

Kind Regards, John
I'll stick with live, I always thought line was a bit silly!

As even EFLI himself more-or-less admitted, that is the word which virtually everyone other than electricians would use.

Except he didn't do that. He said -

Round the ring, separating the line terminals from the back of a socket..
which is correct, if he meant only the lines.

However, that made me wonder how the N and E were being tested.

I'll stick with live, I always thought line was a bit silly!
Well, if you are looking for 'silly' (in general public 'common sense' terms), the main reason the electricians use "line" is that they regard neutral, as well as "line", as being "live".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well, if you are looking for 'silly' (in general public 'common sense' terms), the main reason the electricians use "line" is that they regard neutral, as well as "line", as being "live".

Kind Regards, John

My apologies, I was simply referring to live as line. I wasn't aware of another meaning.

One solution I did read on here is the below, from ban-all-sheds (it was a while ago though!)

"FWIW, I'd probably start by connecting one leg, and finding which sockets still worked, then ditto with just the other leg.

And hope that I wasn't going to encounter a real-life example of why there is 526-04-01... ;)

When all the pros get back from the pub you might get other ideas..."

I suppose the only issue is I don't know the run ring fully!

One solution I did read on here is the below, from ban-all-sheds (it was a while ago though!) ... "FWIW, I'd probably start by connecting one leg, and finding which sockets still worked, then ditto with just the other leg.....".
That would certainly be a very useful start, but you would have to disconnect one leg, then the other leg, of the circuit at the CU, and I don't know how comfortable and capable you would be to do that safely, and hence how advisable it would be for you to try it.
I suppose the only issue is I don't know the run ring fully!
I guess there is a typo in their somewhere - could you clarify?

Kind Regards, John

Well, neutral is officially a live conductor, and has been defined as such for many years.

That would certainly be a very useful start, but you would have to disconnect one leg, then the other leg, of the circuit at the CU, and I don't know how comfortable and capable you would be to do that safely, and hence how advisable it would be for you to try it.
I guess there is a typo in their somewhere - could you clarify?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry, I meant I don't know the run of the ring. Probably alot easier to trace on a newly installed circuit!

Sorry, I meant I don't know the run of the ring. Probably alot easier to trace on a newly installed circuit!
If you were able and confident to do as BAS suggested, you wouldn't really need to know about the arrangement ('run') of the ring in order to get some useful information- in fact the exercise might well actually reveal a certain amount of information about that.

Kind Regards, John

If you were able and confident to do as BAS suggested, you wouldn't really need to know about the arrangement ('run') of the ring in order to get some useful information- in fact the exercise might well actually reveal a certain amount of information about that.
Well, neutral is officially a live conductor, and has been defined as such for many years.
Maybe you are confusing me with someone else because someone else "assumed the worst about the situation or the person who wrote it (and sometimes subsequently be proved wrong in their assumptions)" and you will not rid yourself of the fiction that I'm someone who does that.

Last edited:
No confusion - merely poor memory on your part, perhaps ...
FWIW, I'd probably start by connecting one leg, and finding which sockets still worked, then ditto with just the other leg.

And hope that I wasn't going to encounter a real-life example of why there is 526-04-01... ;)

When all the pros get back from the pub you might get other ideas...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back