Continuity test

So, the fault may have been there for many years.
You are going to need to carry out some Rn tests on the ring and find out whereabouts the problem lies.

Yeah quite possibly, the plan was to remove all socket fronts and see if I have a dropped line somewhere

Sponsored Links
A visual check is may reveal the problem. Better to carry out a continuity test.
Long lead method from the CU is one option. Loop N&E at CU and test where the loop disappears is another.

A logical approach is needed. You’ll find it, eventually …

A visual check is may reveal the problem. Better to carry out a continuity test.
Long lead method from the CU is one option. Loop N&E at CU and test where the loop disappears is another.

A logical approach is needed. You’ll find it, eventually …

Many thanks, will do a few tests and report back. Will get another chance probably Sunday.

What was on the certificate the spark gave you for the work they did?

Sponsored Links
I am currently extending the ring circuit to add my sockets to my main bedroom but I have an odd result after a continuity test.

After taking off the front plate to the double socket in the room I have tested the neutrals which read about 0.12, the lines however show no continuity, but when the circuit is live the socket works fine and every other socket in the house works fine.

The 3rd bedroom behind it has 2 added sockets by my friend who is a qualified electrician, he through crimped and extended the circuit in that room, but I haven't fitted front plates yet so that's the only room I haven't tested the sockets.

Any ideas?

Do you really mean that a qualified electrician has extended the circuit and has not fitted the sockets? You mentioned a CU change, so you should have an EICR showing the results of the the tests on this circuit.

If you haven't fitted the sockets in the 3rd bedroom yet(front plates not fitted) what is the set up of the wiring in that room . Without the sockets being fitted you will not have a final ring. Or am I reading this wrong ?

Having continuality on N does does seem strange, and missing on L. Worth looking there first

Last edited:
If you haven't fitted the sockets in the 3rd bedroom yet(front plates not fitted) what is the set up of the wiring in that room . Without the sockets being fitted you will not have a final ring. Or am I reading this wrong ?

Having continuality on N does does seem strange, and missing on L. Worth looking there first

They havent been fitted the wiring has been through crimped and wrapped in insulation tape and the wires for the faceplates are in electrical connecters and then wrapped fully in electrical tape

They havent been fitted the wiring has been through crimped and wrapped in insulation tape and the wires for the faceplates are in electrical connecters and then wrapped fully in electrical tape
I think the question which people are raising is why on earth the sockets (faceplates) were not intstalled at the time the circuit was extended - since to do that would have taken no longer than putting the conductors into 'connectors'.

Whatever, the 'qualified electrician' who extended the circuit should have tested the circuit after that work, and it sounds as if he probably didn't. Particularly since, as is the case, you have doubts/concerns about the integrity of the circuit, you really should ask him to undertake the testing he should have done in the first place (and rectify any faults), rather than trying to do it, and interpret the results, yourself.

Kind Regards, John

I think the question which people are raising is why on earth the sockets (faceplates) were not intstalled at the time the circuit was extended - since to do that would have taken no longer than putting the conductors into 'connectors'.
I think the process is called "First Fix"!
In case you aren't sure, First Fix is a stage in the project where one installs the new mounting boxes in the wall and runs the cables. In the case of a working circuit, one needs to provide a temporary connection at each of the new boxes to maintain the integrity of the existing (working ) circuit, and to make it safe for other trades (plasterers, decorators, etc) who follow on from the electrical work. Also, the necessary tests are carried out to ensure that the new work has not caused a fault on the existing:giggle:
Once this has been completed , the project then moves on to the next stage. To avoid confusion, this is simply called "second fix". This is the time when the nice new sockets etc are fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back