Continuity testing - unplug everything?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to add extra sockets to the house I've just bought, which means at some point I'll need to perform a continuity test to determine whether specific sockets are on the ring circuit.

All the information I've seen on performing a continuity test indicates that all appliances need to be unplugged from the ring circuit and all sockets turned off.

The problem that I've got is that there's a socket upstairs that isn't easily accessible, because there's a very large/heavy wardrobe in front of it that's been screwed to the wall! The socket has only got an extension cable plugged into it, but no appliances. I'm pretty sure it's switched on as well, otherwise the extension would be a waste of time!

Is this going to cause me problems when performing a continuity test on another socket in the same room?

Just out of interest, what we happen if a continuity test was performed with an appliance plugged in?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Aslong as you dont insulation resistance test them, it shouldnt make a difference.

R1, R2. Rn shouldnt be a problem since you dont test Live to neutal, you test both ends of the rings L-L, N-N, Pe-PE, or on radial R1+R2 by shorting Live and Earth at the last socket

Its not going to matter if you are just testing the continuity of individual ring conductors, its if you are doing the figure of 8 thing, then your readings would be scewed, and if it was an IR test instead of continuity then not only would the readings be wrong, but stuff would be broken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back