NAPIT Inspection, testing circuits and awkward fusebox??

Sponsored Links
Mike2007 said:
Don't fancy a work experience boy Spark123 (Cumbria area)??

Sorry, I don't do the hiring or firing, I mainly do heavy industrial stuff too.
How old are you just out of interest? Which part of Cumbria roughly? Does your local college not do a C&G course in electrical installation?
Have you read the requirements for joining the NAPIT electrical schemes?: http://www.napit.org.uk/qualsElec.asp
To be honest, I think you may be wasting your money applying to NAPIT at the moment, have you spoken to anyone at NAPIT yet?

Mike2007 said:
Cheers Rob. If the examiner is fine with that then its good option!

Mike

I was actually meaning build the board to improve your inspection and testing skills, I dont think your examiner will except you showing him a practice board for your assesment. What these guys want is for you to show them something you have installed previously, they will ask you pertinant questions like maximum demand, means of earthing then they will ask you to demonstrate the testing you applied when you finished the installation.

If you havent done much testing then get a copy of GN3 now or look at the OSG from page 68 (i think) onwards that will explain all the testing you need, even so theres nothing like testing for real. Like Dingbat says it may be worth reconsidering the assesment for a little while.

Mike2007 said:
I am not sure I have explained things properly. This is the house I live in but I did none of the final circuit rings, as you can see they are terrible!
Surely though, your assessment is not only of your ability to test (an ability you have yet to acquire) but of your ability to carry out work in accordance with BS 7671. If you haven't done any work on this property how can you be assessed on this installation?
BUT, I am not so stupid to try to rectify this CU work without proper training.
Good. But it takes just as much knowledge to alter an existing circuit as it does to add a new one, because of potential inherent faults. The regulations are not relaxed for minor works.
I only need to link conductors at any CU to do tests for my defined scope assessment.
And you can do that perfectly easily and safely within that Wylex standard fuseboard, if you know what you are doing.
How can I have loads of experience doing T&E without the legal status to first practice, if you know what I mean?
Because there are no legal requirements to prevent you from inspecting, testing and certifying your work. The job is not finished until the certificate is issued.

Your assessor, by the way, will not accept a fake test on a dummy board. Rob's suggestion (for which you'll also need some resistors, otherwise none of your circuits will deliver meaningful readings) is for your practice only.

If NAPIT have given you the impression that all you have to demonstrate are the dead tests for an existing circuit then you could be in for quite a shock.

So, cancel your assessment, get some training, test your own house top to bottom and then, when you are knowledgeable and confident, do some work for others - spurs, boiler supplies, extra lights, etc - then in, say, a year's time reapply. (And do get some professional training in the meantime - bare minimum 2381 course and a hands-on Inspection & Testing course.)

Sponsored Links
You do not have to show your own property's electrical installation. This is an option if your customers are not near and the inspector normally is not keen to travel far, so he gives you an option to show competence by testing your own house, basically is done to help you. When I joint NAPIT I did not have enough domestic work on record and most of it was Minor certificates, but I had a commercial job that had a full set of electrical installation certificates, he was ready to see it althogh it was not part P job, because of the distance to the site he decided to see how I do the tests, at home after verifying that the certificated were ok (this is the reason why I joint NAPIT and not NICEIC, NAPIT approach was helpful and not patronizing like NICEIC). He will want to see competence he do not care where.

After you are registered it is a different story, then he will check the quality of the work, ask the customer if he was happy with your service check some points (like open a socket or/and light switch) ask you repeat some of the tests and he will check that it is compatible to the results in the certificate.

As mentioned you will have to show competence and this will include not only understanding of the testing process and the results but you should have all the books and testing equipment (to 16th edition) the multi meter have to be calibrated (with a valid certificate).

You are surely not suggesting, Albert, that NAPIT will accept a complete novice, with no qualifications, for registration and then let that novice acquire his training at his customers' risk, only assessing the quality of his actual work after a year's worth of 'having a go'?

dingbat said:
You are surely not suggesting, Albert, that NAPIT will accept a complete novice, with no qualifications, for registration and then let that novice acquire his training at his customers' risk, only assessing the quality of his actual work after a year's worth of 'having a go'?

Sorry if I did not explain, I thought that this is obvious, you must be properly qualified with a recognized certificate plus you must have 2391 (testing and inspaction) certificate and 2381 (16th edition).

I thing that for the latter one if all the rest is ok they will allow you to join in a condition that you will complete and pass the 2391 training in not more than a certain period of time (less than a year, I think)

Glad to get some sound advice in amongst the threads, was starting worry I had placed my posts in the Plumbing forum?? :cry: Just joking, there are good guys there too.
I will pursue an inspection and testing training course before I go any further, to clarify what I need to know.
I have never found any problem explaining to someone with less knowledge than myself (if thats possible..ha ha) how to do something. So I come to these threads for professional info, to avoid mistakes which could end up in a nasty way!
There will always be new people entering a work market that you are in but there are always old timers leaving, so I don't see why there is any bad feeling about less experienced people? How about the experts training those that are keen to learn and strengthening their companies?

Thank you all for the advice (and concern)

Mike did NAPIT not suggest you first do the trade test at thier headquaters in Mansfield? If you do the 2 day test you will soon find out if you are ready for your on site assesment.

They did not suggest it, but it may be a waste of time if I don't yet have enough knowledge? I have asked sparks to give me a few pointers but no joy. I have my books for sequence of tests etc. but that is no help when someone is watching over your shoulder making me sweat!
They have a course of their own (not 2391) which shows testing more clearly, also form filling.
Cheers

Mike2007 said:
There will always be new people entering a work market that you are in but there are always old timers leaving, so I don't see why there is any bad feeling about less experienced people? How about the experts training those that are keen to learn and strengthening their companies?

You're quite right that there is a natural turnover of people in the trade. And many of the retirees are concerned that it seems to be easy for just about anybody to suddenly become qualified; in their opinion nothing but a full apprenticeship would suffice.

But as the domestic branch of the trade has recently come under more scrutiny and regulation it makes complete sense to open up this market to those who have, for decades, carried out electrical work in support of their main trade anyway.

This requires training. Whilst it is entirely possible for an intelligent newcomer to self-teach and become proficient, the majority who seek to become assessed as competent will best be served by being taught... And guess who is doing the teaching? Correct, those very same 'experts' you mention are already delivering training up and down the country.

So, there you are, Google.co.uk for 'electrical training' and take your pick... (fifth one down is always a good bet. ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back