NAPIT Inspection, testing circuits and awkward fusebox??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a nerve racking NAPIT inspection coming right up and need to show competence in inspection and testing my own work!
I have an old fusebox (that needs totally replacing) and need to use it to perform circuit testing. It can not be isolated as you can see and would seem bad to access doing my R1+R2 tests etc??
Do I ask a mate with a newer property if he wants some new sockets for the inspection... or what? Anybody been though an inspection that can offer advice?
Electrics1.jpg
[/img]

TESTS DEAD ARE;
Continuity of protective conductors, including bonding.
Continuity of ring final circuit conductors, including protective devices.
Insulation resistance.
Polarity.
Earth electrode
TESTS ENERGISED ARE;
Re-check polarity.
Earth electrode resistance.
Earth fault loop impedance.
PFC
Functional testing

Sponsored Links
I dont know what your asking here, Are you saying you cant change the CU beacuse you cant safely isolate it i.e (scared cutting the tags and pulling the fuse etc)?

Hi Rob,
To complete my inspection I will need to show I can test my own work. My fusebox here seems awkward to demonstrate circuit tests, rather than a CU with breakers.
Mainly wanted to know about defined scope inspections and what they require?
Trust you know all the tests I listed.

What are you doing, a PIR or something?
What an awfull spot to put a JB too!! Or is it floating and just tucked in there?

Sponsored Links
Just a NAPIT inspection on my work, which i must show competance in my work and testing of it for their membership.
Never took an old box like this apart before. Need to join phase and cpc for R1+R2 test etc (but no isolator)

How much testing have you done Mike? you should be able to demonstrate that you can PIR the installation. I see your point about it being old but so what the tests dont differ any (with the exception of an RCD)

There is an isolator on the right hand side of the CU. All I would say is it isn't very nice, it looks like an old wooden backed job.
Don't know about the cable entry in the top too, is it to IP4X?
Main earthing conductor also looks a bit dodgy on the DNO clamp.
Are the tops of the henleys to IP4X?
I take it there's another CU to the right?

Guess I answer my own question! If I am going to be tested maybe not best to do it on equipment that needs condemning??
I have done bu**er all testing so not a strong subject. My mate has a modern CU, should have isolators on meter tails.

Don't fancy a work experience boy Spark123 (Cumbria area)??

Would it not have been an idea to get upto speed on testing before applying to NAPIT?

I'm suprised you have never opened the most common fuse box in the UK.

Are you sure you're really ready for this assessment?

Mike2007 said:
I have done bu**er all testing so not a strong subject.

I would contact a qualified experienced electrician to do the testing for you. Why get membership of something you know nothing about?

Mike, seriously, cancel that assessment.

You should already be inspecting, testing and certifying your work, so your inspector will expect to see your copies of previously issued certificates.
If you show an installation with inadequate earthing and bonding (like yours) you will fail immediately.
If you are unable to demonstrate the safe isolation procedure you will fail immediately.
If you are unable to demonstrate your ability to test safely and thoroughly you will fail.

Go and get some proper training.

I am not sure I have explained things properly. This is the house I live in but I did none of the final circuit rings, as you can see they are terrible!
BUT, I am not so stupid to try to rectify this CU work without proper training.
I have had a fair amount of domestic electrical experience but not as a full-scope operative. I only need to link conductors at any CU to do tests for my defined scope assessment. How can I have loads of experience doing T&E without the legal status to first practice, if you know what I mean?
I would like to get work experience with a local electrician, but everyone is so PARANOID that I might undermine their business at a later stage in my career?
Catch 22

Make a fake board:

Get a piece of MDF bout 1.5mx1.5m Stick on a CU (with RCD), Put a ring circuit on it, A radial, A two way lighting circuit, 2 pipes to simulate Gas and Water (connect up your bonding). Wire the cu with a 3 pin plug on it so you can do your live tests and there you go you can practice doing a PIR on that, thats what I did when studying for 2391, No 3ph but its a good start!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back