Continuity test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently extending the ring circuit to add my sockets to my main bedroom but I have an odd result after a continuity test.

After taking off the front plate to the double socket in the room I have tested the neutrals which read about 0.12, the lines however show no continuity, but when the circuit is live the socket works fine and every other socket in the house works fine.

The 3rd bedroom behind it has 2 added sockets by my friend who is a qualified electrician, he through crimped and extended the circuit in that room, but I haven't fitted front plates yet so that's the only room I haven't tested the sockets.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the ring final is incomplete on the line...what is the reading for the earth?

After taking off the front plate to the double socket in the room I have tested the neutrals which read about 0.12, the lines however show no continuity,
The line must have a break in it somewhere.
What was the reading for the earth wire?

but when the circuit is live the socket works fine and every other socket in the house works fine.
It would, wouldn't it?
You have a ring with a break in it - a 'C' with the supply being somewhere on the 'C'; not at one of the ends.

The 3rd bedroom behind it has 2 added sockets by my friend who is a qualified electrician, he through crimped and extended the circuit in that room, but I haven't fitted front plates yet so that's the only room I haven't tested the sockets.
Ok? As you have to remove the front plates to test ...

Sponsored Links
Obvious question:
Was there continuity before the work was started?

I didn't test before hand but the only thing I have done is remove a spur which went to an fcu that powered a double socket. From the fcu there was a cable that powered a double socket in the lounge too, that's where it terminated. I tested the route of that before removing.

The line must have a break in it somewhere.
What was the reading for the earth wire?

It would, wouldn't it?
You have a ring with a break in it - a 'C' with the supply being somewhere on the 'C'; not at one of the ends.

Ok? As you have to remove the front plates to test ...

Yeah of course will be easier checking, but that bedroom is chock full of tools at the moment ! I guess the most obvious place to check is the 3rd bedroom before anything else!

Yeah Im thinking a break somewhere. The earth was roughly in line with the neutral maybe a little lower.
The earth will be a greater resistance as the earth conductor is thinner than the current-carrying ones.

Can you answer my other question
Obvious question:
Was there continuity before the work was started?
i'm trying to help you decide if the recent work caused this or (perhaps) there has been a fault there for a longer time.

The earth will be a greater resistance as the earth conductor is thinner than the current-carrying ones.

Can you answer my other question

i'm trying to help you decide if the recent work caused this or (perhaps) there has been a fault there for a longer time.

Yes earth is 1.5 and line is 2.5 so earth has greater resistance, what I mean is it wasn't too dissimilar taking into account each size.

I thought I did answer above? Or am I missing something? No tests were done prior to other work which was removing a spur today. Prior to this two extensions to ring circuit have been made and a new consumer unit in that order

So, the fault may have been there for many years.
You are going to need to carry out some Rn tests on the ring and find out whereabouts the problem lies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back