Continuity test

the neutrals which read about 0.12, the lines however show no continuity

Neutral and earth reading about 0.13

Neutral and Line are likely to be similar if not the same.

The earth reading is likely to be higher than the N & L due to it being a smaller CSA (it may be the same if all conductors are the same CSA).

For the neutral and earth to read the same is a bit odd.

Sponsored Links
Neutral and Line are likely to be similar if not the same.

The earth reading is likely to be higher than the N & L due to it being a smaller CSA (it may be the same if all conductors are the same CSA).

For the neutral and earth to read the same is a bit odd.

That's what I thought, however it isn't solid core it's stranded?

My friend said there was continuity in the live when the cu was done, otherwise he would have put that circuit on two radials

it isn't solid core it's stranded?
If the circuit is wired in twin and earth cable, even if it is imperial size and not metric, the line and neutral conductors will always have a resistance value very close to each other and the earth always higher in relation to them.

My friend said there was continuity in the live when the cu was done
If that is right, the break must be caused by something you have done since he finished his work.

Sponsored Links
If the circuit is wired in twin and earth cable, even if it is imperial size and not metric, the line and neutral conductors will always have a resistance value very close to each other and the earth always higher in relation to them.

If that is right, the break must be caused by something you have done since he finished his work.

Yeah I understand the earth core is smaller therefore has a higher resistance than live and neutral, just didn't know whether stranded made a difference.

Will check the sockets which have been added first to see if I have dropped a live somewhere. Trouble with checking the others that are already in place is when I opened one in the kitchen the live terminals were not even properly secured the cables are short and work space is tight. So basically it's a massive faff

Indeed. As I wrote a couple of pages ago ....
Well, IF he did test after the extension and found everything was OK, and IF the present situation is what you have been describing, then you would need to think about what you have done (or what has been done) since that circuit extension which could have brought about the change.

Kind Regards, John

Right, I have been round and checked every socket on the ring circuit, I can't find a live that isn't secured in place albeit I found alot of other wierd stuff, including spur off a spur, lights wired into the back of socket and a bag load of un sleeved earth's with metal backboxes .. Kind of stuck now

You need to get an electrician to find the fault (and I would not recommend you ask your friend, as leaving live cables wrapped in tape hanging out of the wall is not a safe practice)

Update, my friend has been round and found the fault. He split the ring and tested parts of the ring to work out where the break is. It was a flex that lead from the first socket on one side of the ring (after being fed by CU) downstairs that then run upstairs to then run downstairs to a socket in the lounge. The previous owner had broken the live then wrapped it in insulation tape and it could only hold for so long. I guess since work has been done in that room it's moved. Slightly. Anyway it has not been crimped and insulated and we have a complete ring

Attachments

• 20180603_121834.jpg
    20180603_121834.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 91

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back