Connecting Extended Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to extend my ring main from a socket i want to take out. The socket is upstairs so i was going to crimp the two cables running to the socket underneath the floor and extend from there. Chasing the 2 cables back to their sockets and putting in new cables is not going to be straight forward so wanted to extend the cables going to the socket. I have read posts where Junction Boxes have been advised but i thought crimping would suit regs. could anyone advise? I will be getting it inspected and tested after its complete.

Sponsored Links
If the connections are to be under the floor then the general concensus here is that they aren't accessible, so any junction box relying on screw terminations isn't suitable. Crimp the wires as you suggest, but put the entire crimp joint inside an adaptable plastic box.

When you extend a cable and whish to cover/hide it and it will not be accessible you need not only to crimp it but to insulate it with shrinking sleeves , this to make it water proof, you have to 'shrink sleeve' each wire and than the cable.
The cable sheathing provides the mechanical protection and as it is missing the mechanical protection is achieved by using a suitable box as mentioned before.

If this is a flush mount socket, why not replace it with a blanking plate and extend the cable using choc block in the box? This will save you the trouble of filling the old holes and give you the option of putting the old socket back in the future.

Sponsored Links
Space cat said:
If this is a flush mount socket, why not replace it with a blanking plate and extend the cable using choc block in the box? This will save you the trouble of filling the old holes and give you the option of putting the old socket back in the future.
Yes you can use a blank, I know that most people do not want blanks every where, the blank must be visible, and still i would crimp it as this is the better way to extend a cable.

I cant blank off the existing socket and im changing the small room that the socket is it too an en suite, therefore my understanding is that all 240V has to be removed?? Or because it is blanked is that ok?

i was going to use heat shrink anyway, however i did not know i had to put it on each single wire so i would like to thank everyone for there help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back