Adding trellis to low concrete posts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

bit of a job to change the concrete posts I’m told - but I wish to add trellis for some extended privacy

I’m thinking 4 x 180cm by 60cm trellis panels - the criss cross ones are about £40 each in b&q

BUT what’s the best way to secure them as my posts are obviously at max height

if I re make the pointy wooden slats (that cover each post) a little wider and taller - I could potentially screw into the trellis ?? And also try cover the gap between each trellis panel too this way?

Attachments

• 430593F6-5046-4765-8837-DA7BAEA87295.jpeg
    430593F6-5046-4765-8837-DA7BAEA87295.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
Not sure how this person added their trellis - and secured it given his short posts like mine?

but re the gap between panels - hopefully my awful drawing gives idea what I mean about making a new wider pointy wooden slat 4 times - and try screw onto each trellis panel?

Attachments

• BC45F40B-47FA-4EF5-A95D-CFB06E64ACAE.jpeg
    BC45F40B-47FA-4EF5-A95D-CFB06E64ACAE.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 198
Obviously there is likely a big gap between the trellis panel - and the pointy wooden piece! Could be a long screw required !

Okay so I had to do something similar although our fence panels and posts were only 5 foot high.

If your fence posts are new or the U channel is square, you could use these:
https://www.woodsideproducts.co.uk/...xtension-arms-topper-brackets-pack-of-10.html

They would have worked in our front garden fences because the posts are new and the grooves they slot into are perfectly square. But they didn’t work in our back garden because the U-channel was curved in the corners.

So then I bought these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GALVANISED-UNIVERSAL-POST-EXTENDER-BRACKET-FENCING-GARDEN-BRACKET-8-Pack-Of-3-/184889105764

These are L-shaped brackets. These fit better. They’re not as long as the U-shaped brackets above. Our fence panels were very tightly wedged in so I had to hammer these brackets in.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Thanks! But then don’t you have a gap between each post?
We have but it’s quite small - the width of the middle bit of the fence post.

I was considering buying a wooden fence post, cutting it up and slotting it between the trellis panels and then buying a composite cover for the fence post. But to be honest it looks fine as it is. Especially as the fence panels and the trellis panels have been painted the same colour.

If you are going to grow anything, such as clematis, honeysuckle etc, along the trellis the gap will soon get covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back