Adding windows to lighten a dark room query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

1st post so please be gentle on me!! Been an avid reader of this forum but never signed up!

I have a house built in the early 1900's which has a sitting room with only one window. This window has a lean-to kitchen the other side of it which obscures most of the light into the sitting room.

As one of the rooms walls are an external wall I wish to add two further windows either side of a chimney breast.

My plan is two cut out the openings using a stihl saw from the outside and attempt to install some kind of lintel? I don't want an ugly lintel on show though on the outside? I simply want the window with a course of bricks running along the top. Obviously I want to make sure the brick course is supported to make sure the frame of the window does not sag by the weight of the brickwork above?? But what do I use?? Some kind of metal plate???

The wall is two bricks thick with no cavity. Window will be approx 500mm wide.

Forgive me for going on but I want to make sure I do everything correctly and not cut any corners.

I have asked a couple of window companies but unless I order windows for the rest of my house they aren't interested in this small job!

Anyway I thank anyone in advance for their help / knowledge!!

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to fit wall or ceiling sun tunnel pipe, they're fantastic!

Hi Paul,

To be quite honest I really think you will need a concrete lintel (or four!) supporting the walls above the windows.

You can get facing brick fronts that you would stick over the concrete face of the lintel to give the appearance of brick.

Further to the above, if you really don't want to cut corners then I would engage the services of a structural engineer. This need not be expensive, and they can do quite quick calcs for you to ensure that you do the correct thing. Not having seen the project that you are undertaking, but picturing it in my head, you will be putting a window quite close to the corner of the house, which has a window already installed on the other side of the corner. This will lead to more loading on the corner of the house, which potentially could be an issue.

Depending on where you are, we would be more than happy to supply and install only a few windows!!

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back