adding insulation around a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to add some insulated plasterboard to a room which is not insulated. This will involve stripping back the plaster to the brick, treating it then building it up again due to damp. There is a window but I'm not sure how to tackle the difference in depth when the new insulated plasterboard is in place.
Do I have to replace the window or is there something I don't know about?

I haven't decided on depth of insulation yet as that will partly depend on the answer to the question.

I've attached some photos of where the window currently sits in relation to the wall. The walls are lath and plaster on brick I believe. The window is a standard PVC window.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Attachments

• PXL_20230926_082630858.jpg
    PXL_20230926_082630858.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230926_082639843.jpg
    PXL_20230926_082639843.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 23
Sponsored Links
It may be as simple as removing the window surround and replacing it with a larger one?

That looks more like trims than part of the actual window frame to me. Guessing it used to be a sliding sash window and someone's tried to replicate the wood work

Yes youre correct. It is trim. I used the wrong words. I think it is as simple as replacing the trim. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes you could just remove the trim do what you need to do and then put new trims up if you wanted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back