condensation on new windows and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently built an extension and used dpc with insulation to close the cavity walls around the doors and windows. Doors and windows have been fitted into the holes and reveals insulated with insulated plasterboard before the internal plaster.

Doors and windows have had condensation since they were installed. I was assuming it was due to the plaster drying out, but now that the plaster has dried out, i still have condensation on the iside of all doors and windows.
Water from the condensation is now starting to make the plaster adjacent to the windows damp.

Windows supposed to be to the bld regs and am chasing the installer. Have used same installer for previous windows with no problems but not sure if the builder had installed the cavity closer.

Would this closer make this happen or is there something wrong with the windows and doors? There is even condensation of the inside of the door handle plate and hinges!

Any suggestions or comments gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Are you sure everything has dried out. do the windows have trickle vents and have you had any heating in the extesion on yet if the inside pane of glass is really cold any moisture in the air will condense on it.If so get a heater on in there and see if it gets any better.

do you ventilate the with the windows open at least 3 times a week for about an hour!!!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure everything has dried out.

Yes, even though the plaster is nice and pink there will still be a load of moisture in the house. Best thing to do is open all the windows fully for an hour a day just to blast the whole thing out.

You obviously don't have washing on the rads, steamy cooking, drier in the house etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back