additional light to a switch replacing 1 gang with two.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an existing 1 gang switch operating a light, the neutral (black) cable is running direct from the mains to the light and the earth is attached to plate.

The live wire is coming in on L1 and the brown/orange wire is coming from light into L1 at the top.

I want to add another light and have purchased a two gang switch so each light is operated by a seperate switch.

Can anyone help me

For Pictures
//www.diynot.com/network/ballysingh31/albums/

[/img]

Sponsored Links
how do youi know what the balack is really doing?

please post a pic.

posting a pic info is in forum information

First off, you dont post a link to the album, you need to select the BB code associated with the picture (in your album) copy that and paste it into your message.

But I think i can see what you need:

It looks like the existing cable live feed and neutral comes into the switch but i cant tell if it is from the top or the bottom. You need to discover which it is! You'll probably need a voltage indicator or a multimeter to do this.

I will call that cable "feed"
The other half will go to the existing light so we'll call that "Light 1"

I assume that new cable clipped to the wall is the cable to the new light? If so that cable's name is "light2"

OK

Feed cable. You need to break the black loop behind the switch, put in a terminal block and connect to the neutral (blue) of light 2 cable.

Put in your new switch.
The red conductor of feed will go to both C terminals on the switch.
The red conductor of Light1 will go to one of the L1 terminals on the switch.
The brown conductor of light2 will go to the other L1 terminal on the switch.

All of the earth conductors must be sleeved with green&yellow sleeving and connected together on the earth terminal.

Let me know if it works!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back