Additional Lighting Circuit for Security Lighting and Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Due to some recent bad weather, we lost the upstairs lights for 3 days (it took me that long to get my electrician to take a look).

Anyway, the fault was due to an outside light at the top of the house having water in it. There was a ground fault. The previous occupiers had the security lights installed into the lighting circuit from the upstairs lights.

Both security lights were disconnected (now not used) and upstairs lighting has been fine. Anyway, I have 2 idea's to prevent this happening in the future:

1. Run the security lights from a fused switch spur

or

2. Have a seperate circuit wired into the CU to provide external and loft lighting. I don't have loft lighting at the moment, but I thought this maybe a good idea.

Either way I'm isolating the external and loft lights from upstairs. So a fault in the future won't render us in the dark for days. I'm keen on Step 2 though I know it's probably more costly, but if a fault developed I would be able to see the tripped MCB straight off.

Of course, I'm not planning to do the work myself, but would like to have a firm idea of what I want before I get a local spark to do the work, and if I go with idea 2, then Part P as it's a new circuit.

What would you advise I do ?

Sponsored Links
Wire the lofts in to the existing light circuit, since the 1st floor lights will feed via the loft floor.

With the external lights take a f/spur from the light circuit and wire away. If the external lamp does go faulty (which it shouldn't if IP rated and installed correctly with glanding) then the fuse spur should pop. I'd suggest a 1A fuse.

Speak to your local electrician and ask him.
If you're not satisfied get a couple more quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back