Security Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I get a sparky out, I was wondering if someone could just see if this idea will fly.

I have just bought a house that has been significantly extended in the past. The security lighting is all knackered (3 lights) and runs direct from the upstairs ring circuit with no FCU switches.

I have noticed in the loft whilst clearing it out that there is an old shower cable (shower has been changed from electric to mixer) and a double socket has been attached to run the aerial signal booster. This is covered by a 32A MCB in the CU.

Would it be possible to step down from this shower cable through a junction box and then use 2.5mm cable to create a ring circuit for the FCUs for the security lights (I think there is easy access back to the CU to turn the circuit from radial to ring).

Follow on question - how many 230W security lights could be placed on this circuit? We are quite open at the rear of the property with multiple access points so I am looking at say 6/7 lights, some as pure security, some as combined security and useful outside lighting.

Appreciate thoughts before I engage a pro.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to step down from this shower cable through a junction box
You could connect it to the socket.

and then use 2.5mm cable to create a ring circuit for the FCUs for the security lights (I think there is easy access back to the CU to turn the circuit from radial to ring).
You don't need a ring.
It would be advisable to replace the MCB with a 20A one.

Follow on question - how many 230W security lights could be placed on this circuit?
Depends -
32A MCB, it would be 32.
2.5mm² cable, it would be 27 (method C installation).
20A MCB, it would be 20.

However, there are Building Regulations limits to outside lighting.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/lighting/

Appreciate thoughts before I engage a pro.
It would be best to discuss it with him.

Despite their name, 'security lights' do not provide any security at all.

They merely switch on to allow criminals to see what they are doing as they break into your house or steal your car.

Sponsored Links
Or they alert you or your neighbours to the fact there's someone about and allow your CCTV to clearly record who's about...

Would it be possible to step down from this shower cable through a junction box and then use 2.5mm cable to create a ring circuit for the FCUs for the security lights (I think there is easy access back to the CU to turn the circuit from radial to ring).
One can have what is often called a lollipop ring.
Follow on question - how many 230W security lights could be placed on this circuit? We are quite open at the rear of the property with multiple access points so I am looking at say 6/7 lights, some as pure security, some as combined security and useful outside lighting.
Do you mean 230W or 230V? As far as 230W goes you would need planning permission and it is an odd size. As far as 230V goes you could have a string of lights with 3W LED bulbs around 450 bulbs on a 6A MCB.

In the main as said so called security lights only annoy neighbours when cats set them off however having lights which assist you walking around the property can be a useful. Bright enough to light up trip hazards but not enough to annoy neighbours.

All sorts can trigger security lights Police, Ambulance, Fire, Taxi and CB radios, cats, central heating flues, birds and other lights. If I use my light at back door while neighbours security light is on we have then continually switching on and off as mine is light triggered with small tungsten bulb when theirs comes on mine switches off. As theirs switches off mine comes on and re-triggers their lamp. It is important therefore to be able to switch off lamps and with the idea of water ingress causing a RCD to trip using double pole switching is best idea.

The comment about external lights making it easier for criminals is true. Especially when the neighbours ignore the lights and do not even look to see if it is friend or foe that caused them to come on.

An internal light that comes on and can be seen from outside when some is moving around outside is more effective at making criminals think about not breaking in. Use a timer so that the inside lamp comes on a few seconds after the outside lamp and the effect on the criminal is even stronger.

Would it be possible to step down from this shower cable through a junction box
The shower cable can be used to supply lights or other items.

230W lamps are available, such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/osram-haloline-eco-linear-halogen-lamp-r7s-5000lm-230w/52496
and are often sold as 'energy saving' equivalents for 300W items. However they are still grossly inefficient and overpowered. They also require replacement far too often, and as mentioned already can't actually be used anyway.

A better option would be a number of LED floodlights with one or more separate sensors.
Uses vastly less power, the sensor can be properly aligned to activate when required, the lights can be directed to where light is actually needed and there are no lamps to replace.

230W lamps are available, such as ...
True - but, as others have suggested, I suspect we may actually be talking about 230V lamps, probably of much more modest power than 230W. Of course, I may be wrong!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back