security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i link the feed from one security light to another? I want to install 3 or 4 security lights around the house and don't fancy drilling through the wall and chasing cables and fitting fused spurs....or more likely getting a sparky to do all that £££££.

I've google it but not found the answer i'm looking for. The current front secuirty light is on a 3 switch socket (the other two switches are for lights in the lounge) and the back garden security light is one a two switch socket (the other switch is for the lighting in the utility). If i did link the lights together would it be safe in terms of loading as I take it the current ones are on the lighting circuit.

Also I would like some lighting at the end of the garden where my boundary fence is, I did purchase a solar LED security light as the fence is 25mtr away from the house and I thought it would be a simple solution however it is rubbish, doesn't radiate any light so not fit for purpose, is it suitable to run a cable from the house to a secuirty light on the fence? if so is it best to run the cable around the perimiter or should i burry it under the patio slabs and lawn (surly it would over head/perish)

Sponsored Links
You can link between lights, the regulation state that the cable should be installed on a secure structure, which a fence could well not qualify. Ideally they be fitted on to a hard structure such as masonry. So the option of burying the cable may be your only one, obviously precautions against mechanical damage and ground movement must be considered.
The loading of the circuit must also be calculated and voltage drop.
Then the necessary testing for continuity, insulation resistance and earth loop impedance.
A concern would be if this load was contacted to the main house lighting and cannot be isolated separately, that if a fault occurred on the outside lights that this could lead to complete light loss on the rest of the connected circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back