Can i run 2 security lights off the same socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment we have a security light at the front of our house.
The cable runs into the house and has a normal plug attached to it so we can switch it on and off when needed.

What i wanted to do if possible is have another security light round the back of the house but i dont really want to drill another hole in the wall.

So is it possible to run another cable from one security light around the back of the house to another security light???

Took some photos of the security light.
Hopefully i can fit 2 lots of 3 core cable through the small groomet

Thanks

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you have the correctly rated cable for the current drawn by the lights( both new & exsisting ) & the correct size fuse in the plug, then you can do as you ask. You need to supply lamp ratings & current cable size, plus run length to the new lamp, for any further advice.

Sponsored Links
just wondering if this work would be notifiable if the lights are to be supplied via a plug. i know that they will be fixed to the building but wont be part of the actual fixed wiring. i would not have thought i would have to notify to put up my Christmas lights this year.

So basically i cannot just go ahead and fix security lights to my house

Jesus no wonder the uk is a joke

Yes, if you have the correctly rated cable for the current drawn by the lights( both new & exsisting ) & the correct size fuse in the plug, then you can do as you ask. You need to supply lamp ratings & current cable size, plus run length to the new lamp, for any further advice.

The new light is 150W and i think the other is 500W
Pretty sure ive got 3 core flex 1.5mm x 10 metres long
And the plug has a 13amp fuse

Reading the instructions it recommends using a 5amp fuse in the new light

i wouldn't have thought there would be a problem if the lights are on a plug top. no doubt some one will come up with the legalities of my suggestion though. it is my understanding that they would not be part of the fixed wiring and therefore be portable equipment. if you were supplying via a FCU then that in my opinion would be another story.

then again since the lights are fixed to the property they are not exactly portable are they? but they would still not be part of the fixed wiring though.

just wondering if this work would be notifiable if the lights are to be supplied via a plug. i know that they will be fixed to the building but wont be part of the actual fixed wiring.
(With my highlighting):

Interpretation
—(1) In these Regulations, unless the context otherwise requires—

“electrical installation” means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter;

That, without doubt, puts the lights within the scope of the Building Regulations, and since they are outside lights they are notifiable...

i would not have thought i would have to notify to put up my Christmas lights this year.
Won't they be exempt via 3(c)?

Your options are to fix them as you propose, or to fix them supplied by a cable running through a new hole in the wall.

You deserve to know about the notification requirements, but you also deserve to know that to the best of everyone's collective knowledge nobody has ever been prosecuted for not notifying when they should. It has to be your decision, and nobody can tell you that if you just go ahead you won't get done for it, only that if you were you'd be the first one in nearly 7 years.

Ironically, even though it's not what the law actually says, the guidance in Approved Document P says that if you did do what you say you really don't want to do, which is to drill a new hole, then the light wouldn't be notifiable as long as you go directly into the back, i.e. with no cable exposed.

Personally I would always favour a new hole, but that's because personally I think cables running on the outside of buildings look truly awful.

Holmslaw might be right about you not being able to get 2 cables into the existing light, or he might not - give it a try before you buy a junction box.

He's right to say don't use twin & earth - arctic cable would be suitable as long as you don't mind bright blue or yellow. If I really had to do it I'd use black tough rubber sheathed flex, not PVC. Often sold in the sheds as pond cable.

approved document p states;

"The installation of equipment attached to the outside wall of a house (for example security lighting, air conditioning equipment and radon fans) is not notifiable provided that there are no exposed outdoor connections and the work does not involve the installation of a new circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special location."

so as long as the supply doesn't come from a kitchen or special location there shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I would always favour a new hole, but that's because personally I think cables running on the outside of buildings look truly awful.

I agree on that.Trouble is i dont really want to drill a new hole into a newly decorated bedroom. If it was a nice new house as opposed to an old council house which it is, then neat and tidy would be the way to go. However me next door neighbours **** pit of a house makes the whole street look ugly and some cable running around the side doesnt make it look any worse :mrgreen:

The new light is 150W and i think the other is 500W
Pretty sure ive got 3 core flex 1.5mm x 10 metres long
And the plug has a 13amp fuse

Reading the instructions it recommends using a 5amp fuse in the new light

Both lamps are 150w just found the instructions for the lamp thats up.

So even though it will be powering 2 lamps is it still a 5amp fuse?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back