Can i run 2 security lights off the same socket?

Yes, if you have the correctly rated cable for the current drawn by the lights( both new & exsisting ) & the correct size fuse in the plug, then you can do as you ask. You need to supply lamp ratings & current cable size, plus run length to the new lamp, for any further advice.

The new light is 150W and i think the other is 500W
Pretty sure ive got 3 core flex 1.5mm x 10 metres long
And the plug has a 13amp fuse

Reading the instructions it recommends using a 5amp fuse in the new light

Both lamps are 150w just found the instructions for the lamp thats up.

So even though it will be powering 2 lamps is it still a 5amp fuse?

What's the result of 300 / 230?

Sponsored Links
3A or 5A will be fine. if both lamps are 150W your max current would be 300W / 230V = 1.4A.

the fuse is there to protect the cable not the fitting!

Sponsored Links
3A or 5A will be fine. if both lamps are 150W your max current would be 300W / 230V = 1.4A.

I think your calculator is faulty.

i always round up never down when calculating amps actual answer is 1.3043 and so on, so as i only went 1 decimal place i rounded up. sorry for the confusion. don't think it matters though as 3A or 5A will suffice.

I think your calculator is faulty.

i always round up never down when calculating amps actual answer is 1.3043 and so on, so as i only went 1 decimal place i rounded up. sorry for the confusion. don't think it matters though as 3A or 5A will suffice.

That's one huge and pointless rounding up. Rounding up or down should be done as appropriate, not on a whim.

But yes, a 5A fuse would be an appropriate choice.

That's one huge and pointless rounding up. Rounding up or down should be done as appropriate, not on a whim.

But yes, a 5A fuse would be an appropriate choice.

or indeed 3A! ;)

i could have rounded up to 2A still wouldn't have made a difference would it! :rolleyes:

obviously not but if i was choosing a protective device and my design current was 3.043 i would protect with a 5A fuse. i think we are getting a bit bogged down in an unnecessary point.

3A or 5A would be fine!

Have to agree with Monkeh here.

Maths is maths and you should understand the principle of rounding up or down accordingly.

This is basic stuff elrobbo, you know the "batteries and magnets" sort of stuff. :confused:

obviously not but if i was choosing a protective device and my design current was 3.043 i would protect with a 5A fuse.

As would I, to allow for inrush. That still doesn't change that it's properly rounded to 3A (and .043A is such a tiny amount it's insignificant).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back