security lights and 3 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
complete newbie to electrics so need help & advise.

i want to hang a security light on my outside back wall.

already have hole in wall for my satellite tv cable which i no longer use. hence, can re-use for security light cable. no need to get qualified electrican and no need to drill extra holes etc. hence, save time and money!

probably go with led light but not averse to halogen.
perhaps 30w for the led light?
perhaps 500w for the halogen?

i want to run that security light off my mains plug - ie connect the security light to a 3 pin plug and run it from the wall power socket.

the distance between the security light and the wall power socket is about 10 feet.

so, is this do-able?

what cable/wiring would i need to handle the power consumption?
what fuse would i need?

as part of the cable will run through my brick wall, will it need extra protection?

please give me exact specifications so i can get the exact parts at the local shed.

also, what's a good led security light make/model?
something of low wattage, yet still bright enough to light up an area of about 30 ft x 30 ft, 180° coverage.

ok, that's all i can think of to ask at the moment.
appreciate any help you can give.
thank you.

Sponsored Links
You wont be allowed to use 500w halogen on one fitting, it is against building regulations.
150w max or energy efficient.

Ideally cable will need to be suitable for the environmental conditions, such as frost, heat and sunlight, also rodents and plant growth must be considered.
There are number of options of cable or flexes that are suitable. But if using via plug to socket outlet, they must be of size and type suitable for this termination. it would be wise to protect the cable from any falling debris within the cavity of your wall, this can be by either mechanical protection integrated with cable such as piro or SWA but this is not suitable for plug termination or conduit, it would also be wise to seal the hole to prevent ingress of water, insects and rodents etc..
Hi-tuf cable would be a fair option, 1.00mm CSA would be more than plenty from a 3A fuse.

PrenticeBoyofDerry - 500w - what was i thinking? sorry, had a brain freeze.

yes, 150w or 100w is what i meant. phew!

thanks for your advice about cable & fuse. very helpful.

Sponsored Links
please suggest decent outdoor security lights that can withstand UK weather. i might as well get a decent one in the first place and set it up once and hopefully it'll last a fairly long time. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back