Additional Rad question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a conventional boiler in my garage, open vented, fully pumped y plan. 2 x 22mm flow and return leave boiler and travel to a/c where open vent, cold feed, pump then plan are. Pretty standard stuff. Now above the garage and boiler is an ensuite I had put in a couple of years back and it’s chuffing freezing...big towel rad in there gets nice and hot but 2 x external walls, above a garage etc make the room in the winter, cold, particularly when exiting the shower !. Is there anything stopping me adding an extra rad directly off the flow and return at the boiler below ? I understand every time the boiler comes on, so will this rad but will fit a trv for summer when Just water is heating..is this ok ? I just have in my mind that the hot water cylinder should be the last connection but as I’m happy with this rad on with just water does it matter ?? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Slightly aside from your question but are you sure the insulation is there? External walls or not, and towel rails do have poor heat loss, but a new room would be easy to heat with a towel rail that isn't covered in towels.

We do have the correct insulation however half of the ensuite hangs over the garage which then has a lean to up against the ensuite wall. Wind blows at the garage it seems more than anywhere else pushing the cold into the ensuite. Which to be fair could be better insulated from the garage side. Maybe that’s an option, just wanted to sense check the rad option as well. Cheers

Sponsored Links
If cold is blowing in there must be a problem with your air barrier. Insulation should work pretty much the same in windy conditions if the builder did it properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back