Additional rads in loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About to start a loft conversion and doing most work myself.

I'm looking to fit two rads in the loft which will be a new 3rd floor. Flow and return pipes on landing are 22mm and 15mm pipes come off into the three bedrooms.

Would I be best extending the 22mm pipe into the loft and take the new rads off this or could I tap into the 15mm pipes in the bedrooms and make new connections here?

My thinking was to tap into the 15mm flow and return pipes in one of the front bedrooms and chase it up the wall to feed one new rad at the front of the loft and then do the same to the 15mm pipes in a rear bedroom, again chasing the pipes up the wall to supply a new rad in the rear of the loft.
Don't know which option is feasible of best. Victorian house so floor to ceiling height is 3 metres then there is a run of about 2 metres in loft. Also, depending on which solution is best, how could I then connect a small towel rail in the loft ensuite? If 22mm run extended then I would just tap into that but if the connections are to the 15mm bedroom rad pipes, can I then run more piping from a new loft rad onto the new towel rail before returning?
One further question, if the 15mm route is ok, can I make the new runs in 10mm pipe using reducers? New Combi fitted last year with this additional load in mind.
Thanks for persevering to the end of this post. I would be most grateful for any responses.

Sponsored Links
I would think it will be ok straight off the 22 mm. Use 15 mmpipe though and you may need to put a touch more pressure in your boiler to get them all working ok. :D

Thanks for reply.

Do you mean it should be OK to run straight off the 22mm with 15mm up to the loft, similar to existing rads, or extend the 22mm up into the loft and then tee off from there?

Cheers.

You will be ok teeing off the 22 mm in 15 mm to serve your new rads. 15 mm will serve 3 rads ups to 4 KW :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back