Rad in Loft room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a radiator in a loft room on an open vented system,I can raise the E/V tank a good 8 inches above the top of the radiator so I think this is acceptable.The flow and return run along the landing to a bathroom presumably in 22mm then to a towel rail in 10mm and then up the wall in 15mm to a room that is on a level between the landing level and the loft floor
level.The easiest way to connect the supply to the new Rad is to carry the 15mm F/R on up the wall into the loft,would this be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the boiler,this is in my nephews house,there's not much chance of getting the tank any higher,the boiler is in the garage and the H/W cylinder is on the landing with the E/v tank in the loft space,to lift it up high enough,Idon't think the run for the Vent pipe would be acceptible.

Dan is right you want about a metre but one metre should be ok.
You don't mention which part of the make-up tank you are talking about but it would be not the bottom but the water level.
If you could use a short radiator (height) , raise the tank as high as possible see if you can get near that metre. ie distance from top of radiator to water level in tank.
Mmmmmm the vent pipe might be a problem.
Maybe look at an alternative say a fan heater coil fed from the central heating system but located lower and ducted up into the space. Just a thought?

Sponsored Links
I was thinking of using a 400mm X 1000mm Rad.I'm trying to get an image posted of the site,might be a bit clearer then

This is what can be done but this is on the landing,lt needs to be moved to the right to be against the wall with the door in to be able to build a cupboard
to house it,which means the vent pipe would have to carry on up then follow the slope of the roof then a 90deg bend to the right and the down into the tank!!! would this work?

Looks great to me. ie the highest f&e tank.
Expansion pipe should stop above water level. I assume that is what you mean.

as you say stop above the water level.
Is there any reason why it can't follow the slope of the roof until it becomes visible on the landing go 90deg left for 3 feet then another 90deg to follow the slope again then drop in over the tank

Or you could use a heat exchanger to link the existing vented system to a small unvented system just for the loft.

A flow switch on the vented system could operate the pump for the unvented. That way you wouldn't have to bring control wires all the way from the existing pump, and wouldn't have to move any tanks.

Is there any reason why it can't follow the slope of the roof until it becomes visible on the landing go 90deg left for 3 feet then another 90deg to follow the slope again then drop in over the tank

No reason at all

No reason at all

Thanks for the help,sorry it took so long to get back ,my internet has been off untill now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back