Additional socket for home office

K

knowall

Hi, firstly i would like to say wow, I am so glad i found this forum ! I have just bought a fairly large property with 4 floors. On each floor I have a fusebox, i would like to add a bank on plug sockets for a home office, my question is can i add to the existing plug sockets in the existing room?

All advice appreciated.

thanks,

na

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your help. I have a basic understanding of electrics, i have one existing plug socket in the attic room i would like to make my office.

thanks,na

Your best bet is to get an electrician in to assess your current installation.
If you do have Consumer Units for each floor then it is more than likely that you can do what you wish to do - but a visual inspection is critical before you start.
However, as TTC has indicated, for you yourself to expand the circuit you need to know certain things and one of the first is whether the socket circuit is a radial or ring final circuit - what is the size of the cable - what size/type is the protective device (MCB/rewireable fuse/RCBO) - what type of earthing do you have?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice. The existing socket is crabtree ? and takes 1 plug ?
I would need 6 sockets for my office.

Thanks for your advice. The existing socket is crabtree ? and takes 1 plug ?
So it is a single socket - and is it a radial or ring final circuit?
Is it already a spur?
Without the answers to at least some of these and the other questions asked you aren't going to get very far.

Please do not take this the wrong way, BUT you do not seem to know very much about electrics at all. A RADIAL circuit is basically one cable(normally 4.0 or 6.0mm2) running to a series of sockets, and a RING FINAL is as the name suggests is a ring of sockets with the cable(normally 2.5mm2) running in a loop starting and finishing at the consumer unit.

Thank you for your help. Can someone enlighten me? as to what a spur is ?

Thanks again for your basic help .

na

Please do not take this the wrong way, BUT you do not seem to know very much about electrics at all. A RADIAL circuit is basically one cable(normally 4.0 or 6.0mm2) running to a series of sockets, and a RING FINAL is as the name suggests is a ring of sockets with the cable(normally 2.5mm2) running in a loop starting and finishing at the consumer unit.

Thank you for you guidance, the existing plug socket has one set ? of wires.

Thanks, again.

na

Please do not take this the wrong way, BUT you do not seem to know very much about electrics at all.
Indeed, and I'm sure the advice to the OP to enlist the assistance of an electrician is absolutely correct. Whether we should be taking the thread seriously is another matter!
A RADIAL circuit is basically one cable(normally 4.0 or 6.0mm2) running to a series of sockets, and a RING FINAL is as the name suggests is a ring of sockets with the cable(normally 2.5mm2) running in a loop starting and finishing at the consumer unit.
All obviously true, but I think we're being told that there is currently only one socket on this circuit. In that case, it's very unlikely to be a ring and, even if it were wired 'ring-wise', it would actually be a radial with two cables in parallel!

Kind Regards, John

Thank your help. I think i understand ! a spur circuit has two cables in parallel and my socket has one so it's a ring.Can I link from this to 6 plug sockets?

Thanks,

na

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back