Additional socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a customer who wants to move a washing machine and a tumble drier upstairs into a room that basically houses a boiler and a megaflow hw cylinder. There are no sockets in this room but there is a circuit to supply the boiler, 1 for the immersion for the cylinder and 1 for the Jacuzzi bath (bath in room next door). Believe this bath supply is a spur off the upstairs ring.

So question is can I spur off any of these to supply a double socket for the w/m and t/d? If so, should there be a fuse in this spur? Not sure what the rating of the appliances will be but would appear typical figures could total 3.5KW.

With bathroom in between bedroom and this room and the floor tiled, getting to any rings would be quite a challenge

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi All

I have a customer
You should therefore be a professional with a warranty of skill so why are you asking on a DIY forum?

You have missed out all the information which would allow us to answer the question.

First is what size and type is the automatic over current disconnection device?

Second is there already RCD protection?

Next what size cables are being used?

Also of course is the tumble drier vented or refrigeration type and if former are there any open flues in the house if so where and what provision is made to ensure no negative pressure?

The appendix to BS 7671 tells us that over 2 kW for not portable equipment and washing machine and tumble drier are too heavy to be classed as portable should have a dedicated supply. I know often they don't but also they are often fed from a kitchen ring final and it is debatable if that's classed as dedicated.

Where it is hard to get a supply through the house then one looks at the possibility of taking the supply around the house although SWA cables cleated to wall may not look that good some times there is no alternative.

So tell us what you have and we will help but I am a little surprised at a tradesman asking these questions. Likely it will require a new circuit and that will require compliance or completion certificates and if your not a scheme member that can work out expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back