Adhesive for laminated worktop edging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing some damaged Duropal Ice White worktop. The original worktop had a plastic edge trim on the end some 2mm thick with radiused edges and had no discernible joint visible between the trim and the laminate.

I intend to fit some 2mm thick white uPVC trim cut from a section of square guttering, however on some test samples I'm finding it impossible to get a near invisible joint between the trim and laminate no matter how perfect the prepared laminate edge there always appears to be a dark line at the joint.

I did think of using colorfill but understand that it's only meant to be used on bolted joints (masons mitres) and therefore not strong enough to hold edging in place.
Ideally I suppose it needs something like a white impact adhesive but I cannot find any.
The client - my friends wife - is very 'picky' and insists it must be as good as the original.

Any ideas what I can do (use) other than suggest my friend gets a more understanding wife.

Sponsored Links
Reckon you are on a hiding to nothing there mate!
The original may have been formed in a workshop on expensive equipment, not in situ. I would say well sorry but I can't do that, I can do this, suggest she locates someone that can do want she wants (and good luck to her) chances are she will be back for you to do it at mates rates before long!

Sponsored Links
Reckon footprints was right, it seems the original worktops were supplied ready trimmed on the ends so done in the factory.

Had another word with my friends wife, she now accepts things can't be perfect. Matey has bought Bushboard Complete in Ice White for the joints so I'm going to use clear contact adhesive for the edging, maybe with a small intentional gap and rub in some of the BB. Will try with and without gap first to see which is better.

Wish me luck guys and thanks for the help.

After doing it I would lay one of those naff alli trims over the edge before she sees it!:p:p:p(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back