Cutting Kitchen Laminate Worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been fitting a new kitchen and am ready to fit the laminate worktops. Would I get a good finish (chip free) if I used a hand saw then used a router to finish the edge?

What's best to stick the edging trim on contact adhesive or tape? I've seen some examples where there appears to be white areas showing (not sure whether it has been tape or adhesive) as it is a very dark finish.

Hope that makes sense!?

Sponsored Links
i would cut the top 10 mm longer than needed and set up the router and straight edge and plunge cut increments on 10mm or so depends on the router and bit.. remember to run the router into the post formed edge at all times.
this is were the rail saw comes into its own really, especially the makita with the scribe function..
edgings would be with contact ahesive .. (i use the evo stick polyurathane, not as messy and much easier to use)
then trim with a laminate trimmer before fitting! or use a file but its very time consuming and the finish is no were near as good..
hope this helps

Thanks for the reply Marko.

When you say run the router into the post formed edge am I right in thinking you mean the front edge where the laminate wraps around? And laminate trimmer... do you mean something like the Stanley Double Edge Laminate Trimmer?

Cheers

Simon

yes , always right to left, (climb cutting on w/tops) same direction of the router bit into the edge..(keep a firm hold as it will want to run away bud,
for instance for the left hand w/top edge youll flip the w/top updside down , and right hand top side up..
same as when your using the JIG.
never used that type of trimmer on wtops only on malamine board really..
trimmer i reffer too is like the bosch gfk600, and a bottom guided trimmer bit.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back