Adhesive gone bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone ever heard of floor tile adhesive going bad? Moved into a new property and discovered that one of the floors smelt really bad, like a dog/cat had been urinating on the floor. Finally decided to take up the quarry tiles, as no amount of washing made a difference, only to discover that it seemed to be the adhesive that smelled. The more I took up with a Kango, the worse it was.

Have now got the floor up but there is a residual smell that won't go. Can't think what else it can be, other than the adhesive. Will attempt to seal the floor with a PVA mix to try and seal the smell in.....

Sponsored Links
It sounds like ammonia,I noticed this when tiling my own bathroom years ago.Was tub adhesive once tiled and grouted the smell disappeared.
Try priming the floor with acrylic primer to seal the smell then screed over it with slc.

Thanks lance, have given the floor one coat of PVA to form a barrier, which has made some difference. Am hoping another 2 will do the job and avoid screeding it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back