Adhesive on wall & tile ?

sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have the following scenario :
Bathroom to be fully tiled on walls that will be chased back to the brick / blockwork then recovered in sand / cement / waterproof render (no plaster)
Tiles to be used are glazed porcelain measuring 412 mm x 827 mm x 10mm with a square meter weight of 25kg (no adhesive).
I will be using a powder, cement based adhesive and my question is simply, will I need to apply adhesive to both the wall and the tile for a secure fixing ?
If so, what size notched trowel ?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No you don’t (shouldn't) need to back butter wall tiles but why are you using a waterproof render as a tile base, do you have solid external walls &/or damp problems? You may be far better off fixing waterproof tile backer board direct to the blocks & tile over that; it will also ensure you have a really flat base which is going top be important with tiles that size. If you stick with a 12mm conventional render base rather than a quickset render, don’t attempt to tile it until fully dried out – like 28 days!

Use a thick bed, solid bed trowel - 20mm round notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres.

Before you do any more work or buy materials, I would advise you read the tiling forum sticky & archive posts, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes. Use only quality trade tiling materials of the correct type for your tiles & tile base, cheap own brand & DIY products are mostly crap.

Hi
Thanks for the extensive reply.
The plasterer that I use suggested rendering the walls as 3 of the 4 are a 'clinker block' (1920's property) and having used him before I know he will finish it very flat.
He mentioned adding the waterproofing to help in the shower area (which I was going to waterproof anyway) . I thought it may just help if the grouting fails at any time.
I am just deciding on an adhesive which will definately be a quality cement based powder and not an own brand or shed product.
Thanks Again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back