Adjusting composite door hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new composite door and really pleased with the installation. It's gone in lovely and plumb.

However, the door hinges need some adjustment. I've managed to get an equal gap down each side of the door, but the bottom corner furthest from the hinges doesn't seem to quite sit in enough. It needs to be pushed in, towards the outside of the house. I'm wondering whether this is because the door needs raising slightly as the gap at the top is a lot more than the gap at the bottom. The gap at the bottom is only a couple of mm.

When the door is open, on the 'inside' of the hinges there are 3 hex screws. The two larger ones change the lateral movement, but I have no idea what the smaller one in the middle does. Then on the top and bottom of each hinge there are hex screws. Do both of these effect the height, or just one? I did try adjusting them but couldn't notice any difference in height.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Door 01.jpg Hinge 01.jpg Hinge 02.jpg Hinge 03.jpg

So the first pic is the bottom corner opposite hinge side, see how it's not sitting in properly. Thinking it might be the door needs raising because the draft excluders are getting squashed.

Third pic, the top and bottom hex's move the door laterally.

The last pic is looking down the top of the hinge. Bottom is the same. The left hand object are moved left and right (as you face the door) by the hex's in pic 3.

The hex's in pic 3 are the only adjustment on those hinges Im afraid.

Possibly the door slab or frame are slightly skewed, You may have to adjust and refix that side of the frame to match the door.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gaz. So the two hex's top and bottom of the hinges, they just hold the hinge in place?

And any idea what the small hex does in between the two adjustables?

What make is the door?
Looking at it again I cant tell what the top and bottom bolts do, So I'm guessing they may actually be an up and down adjustment.
The tiny grub screw holds the door pins in place. Take the grubs out and you can remove the pins to take the door off.

I'm guessing by the looks of it that the whole hinge moves up and down a bit.
What I would try is:
Put a small pencil mark above and below the hinges (so you can put them back if you make things worse and so you can see if it moves).
Loosen all 3 of the top bolts.
Tighten a bottom bolt a bit and watch for movement.

If the bottom bolts are very tight and you cant see any movement you may need to remove the pins and door. Once the door is off there should be 2 or 3 screws holding the hinges to the frame (these may need slackening off to allow the hinges to move).
Make sure you move all 3 hinges equally, I would count the number of turns you give them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back