Adjusting door mechanism to make door lighter to push open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our building front door is getting too heavy for a couple of our elderly residents.

Can it be made lighter by adjusting the internal mechanism? The is no overhead external arm

And is this relatively simple or do we need to call someone in? I contacted a Locksmth but he wasn't interested

thanks!

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4275.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks - what is the job title we're looking for? We don't know who we're looking for!

Can it by DIYed?

Just google doors and window repairs near me or similar I'm sure a few suspects will pop up you could try ringing.

The window experts @crank39 @ronniecabers may be a long to answer you DIY query but Thursdays are always slow on the forum, the closing speed is how long it takes for the door to close from 90deg to about 15deg, the latching speed is how long it takes to close the last 15deg, this needs to be crucial to actually enable the door to fully close. Don't know what the other two screws are, I wouldn't have a go unless you're confident, these things have a habit of getting worse in unskilled hands.

Sponsored Links
whose door is it you may get in trouble without permission
i am thinking along the lines off firedoor /security type requirements

Can't say that's one I've come across before , everything Freddiemrcurystwin has said I agree with about what the top two are. One thing I will say it's usually the slowly they close, the harder they are too push open but obviously you don't want it slamming closed on an elderly resident who can't move that fast

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back