Adobe reader 9.1 / Acrobat reader.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

Excuse my complete naivity with this question but.......

My Kapsersky software threw up some causes for concern with the version of the adobe software i had installed.....

I tried the fix recommended but after doing so, it kept flagging up again and again.

I did manage to update to adobe reader 9.1 but i did uninstall adobe acrobat. (it was gettin on my nerves :LOL: )

Question being, are the two programs the same? i havent got the foggiest but i know i have adobe reader 9.1 installed - have i uninstalled something seperate or useful??

Sponsored Links
Same thing. If you can open .pdf documents, then you are sorted. I guess your anti-virus might have been whining at you to update for security reasons - later versions of adobe are apparently safer.

Thanks Joe.

Yeah, reckon it was Kaspersky just being over precautious - it had put several adobe files in the detected risks (very dangerous etc etc)

Dont know how dangerous they were but the update didnt seem to work so i just binned acrobat completely.

Was able to update adober reader to 9.1 (apparently the fixed version) so aslong as i got something that does what it says on the tin, s'pose im ok :eek:

Thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave.

I was tickin' over fine too....had adobe reader 9.0 which evry time i did full scan, never brought up any items to worry about......till the other day :LOL:

Full scan threw up a few adobe files which were high/very high risk.

Successfully updated the reader to 9.1 as kasperskey said was the fix for this problem.

The suggested fix for the acrobat files tho didnt work :cry: - so, me being me, (like things to tun without stoopid error messages etc etc) took it upon meself to uninstall the bloody thing :LOL:

Cant say ive had a prob since but was curious to see if i acted in haste and uninstalled something i needed.

Think i was a bit confuddled as to if adobe reader / acrobat reader were the same thing....as it turns out...i should be ok..

Tsk at bloody laptops............

Ok, so assuming that they are different (now apparent) , bearing in mind i have uninstalled acrobat....can i just go to a site and re-download the latest version?

Depends on how you bought it and the level of support you have.

Whoich version do you have? If there is a securoty patch available for it (see link in my last post) simply re-install from your original media and then apply the patch.

I didnt buy it....came pre-installed i havent installed anything)...

So, assuming its no longer on my system, what i would like to do (ideal) is download but if it aint possible to do that then i guess i could always restore from previous point in time.

Only thing then is i am back to square one with a version which i cant seem to fix via adobe recommended fixes......

Bill Gates needs shooting lol :LOL:

If it came pre-installed then it was probably Reader, not Acrobat. Earlier versions were called "Adobe Acrobat Reader.

But as I said, check the version. There are upates available for Acrobat 7 and 8 as well as 9.

Adobe products are nothing to do with Bill Gates. (And Adobe's pricing policy is a whole lot worse than Microsoft's)

I will check the laptop box/literature etc.....

If i type in "adobe acrobat" in search box on start menu....nothing comes up....

I know i have adobe reader 9.1 as that upgrade was successful via security update via kaspersky.

I did uninstall acrobat like i said...but if it is acceptable to carry on with just reader then thats what ill probably do....i only use the laptop for surfing/email etc....

Oh, and my sweeping "Bill Gates" statement was a genearlised comment on the whole computer "profit" thing. lol

There's no problem at all with just using Reader. You only need Acrobat for creating and editing PDFs and there are cheaper tools available for doing that.

Thats fine by me....like i say, just use for internet access really.

I will double check but as you say, its unlikely that it would have been pre installed....

If it was, i could always use restore to get it back and apply relevant patch?

Thanks for your help guys!

Relax!

It's 99.99% certain you had the earlier adobe reader (9.0) and you have replaced it with a later one (9.1). I'd be extremely surprised if you ever had the full version of the software installed - it's £300 to buy, and you'd only need it if you were a commercial enterprise needing to protect text documents you have created. You'd never find it pre-installed unless you specifically asked for it, although the free-to-use reader is found on most computers.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about. If it works, you're done.

Thanks for that Joe.

Havent checked yet but as i bought the lappy from tesco, like you say, highly unlikely it came with £300 of free software and unlikely that i would ever wanna use it given your description of it, so - looks like im sorted as reader 9.1 works just fine.

For the novice, applying all those security patches etc is a bit daunting as generally, there seem to be so many to choose from - looks like i chose the right one to update reader 9.0 anyway.

Thanks again for your input.

Sponsored Links
Back