Adoption of private drains 1st October 2011

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a heads up for those not already aware. From 1/10/11 the Water Authorities are adopting certain shared drains on private land.

Basically any shared section of drains will become public sewers, and ownership and responsibility for maintenance passes from the landowner to the Water Authority.

Currently, landowners are [normally] responsible for all drains passing under their land - i.e. for sorting out repairs and blockages - even when the drains are shared by other properties. So repair costs can be onerous on a particular landowner, or if the landowner does not maintain of fix drains, then other people upstream can be left literally in the sh1t.

From October, the Water Authority will assume responsibility for shared sections of drains, and will sort out any problems. Single runs say from your house out to the main drain run will still be the responsibility of the landowner

There will be a cost increase to our water bills. But the main issue will be if planning an extension, conservatory etc close to these adopted drains, as permission will now be required from the Water Authority - a fee payable plus cost of a drain survey.

Also, if you have existing buildings over existing drains that will be adopted in October - especially if the building is recent, then it may be an idea to record that the building was there before the drain was adopted

Sponsored Links
shared drains have always been covered under the 1936 sewage and water act i think it was lol :D

House that were built BEFORE 1936 were covered under section 22. Not afterwards.

Andy

yes sorry that's what i meant to say "built pre 1936 water and sewage act" :D

Sponsored Links
I don`t know about Andy`s experience - but 1960`s Pitch Fibre should give the Water co.`s something to work on :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back